Pansea or Savoy in Yangon?

Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:00 AM
ccc
Original Poster

Pansea or Savoy in Yangon?

Does anybody have any thoughts on the choice between the Pansea or the Savoy in Yangon? How far out of the way is the Pansea? Will it mean that we will have to take taxis everywhere? Thanks for your help.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:27 AM

as i remember the savoy, it too is on the outskirts of the city in the embassy district....so yes you would have to have taxis for both....they are incredibly cheap....the pansea looks very lovely and is much smaller than the savoy....the pansea would be my choice...i stayed at what is now called the inya lake hotel...it is very far outside the center but was tranquil and lovely with a very good restaurant...there is also a hotel on the in-town lake whose name begins with a "K"...it is the k- palace hotel and it is worth investigating...it is very nice indeed...
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:29 AM

if you need a driver in yangon, we had kyaw....he is fantastic and very reasonable...we had him for our entire 5 day stay...

[email protected]
Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:05 AM
ccc
Original Poster

rhkkmk, thanks very much. you are a wealth of knowledge.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:41 PM

We stayed in the Pansea about five years ago and enjoyed it. It is located in the Embassy quarter, but we walked into the city a couple of times without problems. However, we were there at the coolest time of the year and we are used to the heat.
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM
dlh

We have stayed at the Pansea twice and at the Strand twice (sorry, not at the Savoy). On our last trip to Yangon we popped into the Savoy to check it out as friends stayed there and recommended it. I agree with rhkkmk that both would be considered about the same distance to sights and from what we saw I personally prefered the Pansea. The Pansea is in the Embassy district but we thought it was a bit too far to walk into town. There is one shop close to the hotel selling clothing made from traditional textiles that is walking distance but that's about it. By taxi, and depending on traffic, it took about 20 - 30 minutes to arrive at our various destinations. Taxis are easy to book and catch from/to the Pansea. Also, if you are going to a specific shop or restaurant when the hotel makes your booking (yes, some shops do take bookings- particularly antique shops) they will send a car to collect you and return you to the hotel. The rooms and the hotel are lovely (be prepared for the rooms to be in need of a tiny bit of TLC) with a great deal of character and charm. The restaurant if fabulous, and both the pool and upstairs sitting room were unused by other guests when we were there so it felt as if we were almost alone when we used those spaces. The upstairs sitting room has the usual collection of books for guests to read but we found some that were particularly fascinating that we had never seen before so check them out if you enjoy reading early travelers accounts of Burma also I had one of the best massages ever that the hotel arranged so if you like massages the hotel will book it for you in your room. Also, be sure to book dinner at the Strand in the formal dining room for one of your evenings - it was great also, Les Planteur Restaurant was really wonderful. Enjoy! Have fun and let us know where you stayed and what you think.