Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Panda Research Centers - Chengdu and Wolong

Aug 12th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

We are considering a trip to China to visit the giant panda research centers in Chengdu and Wolong. Have any of you visited either center? If yes, would you please tell about your experience.

Also, we found a bargain arefare to Japan and can use frequent flyer miles to get to Beijing or Hong Kong. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about flights from Beijing or Hong Kong to Chengdu? I've done a search and read that flights are cheaper when booked in China. Would we have a lot of difficulty in buying tickets to Chengdu?

Please help if you can.
Aug 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Flights will be cheaper from Beijing to Chengdu than from HK to Chengdu. You don't have problem buying the tickets after arriving in Beijing or Hong Kong.

Having said that, I wonder if that's the best use of your money and FF miles. What FF miles are you planning to spend? You may be able to book from Tokyo to Chengdu. Or just buy the ticket directly to Beijing, Hong Kong or Chengdu. All assuming that you don't care about stopping over at Toyko, Beijing or Hong Kong.
Aug 13th, 2004, 07:24 AM

We visited the panda center in Chengdu in May. In HK we bought tickets for the ferry to Shenzhen and for a flight from Shenzhen to Chengdu through the CITS office near our hotel (HYatt). We spent a very pleasant afternoon at the Chengdu panda center. They give you a tour on a tourist train through the areas. We saw lots of adult and baby pandas--and also red pandas. We did not go to Wolong, however.
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JaneB! Glad you had a great time.

RKKWAN, thank you too. I have over a million AA miles (no I am not exaggerating). If I cannot earn miles that count toward Executive Platinum status, then I prefer to use my miles. I can fly to Hawaii on AA and then to Japan on an AA codeshare, so I still will get my AA miles and my bonus miles. The RT airfare is around $700 with taxes; however, I can stopover in Hawaii coming and going and can upgrade with stickers possibly on AA; I cannot upgrade on the AA codeshare. I will get over 15,000 base miles and another 17,000 bonus miles to help me re-qualify towards AA Executive Platinum.

From what I can tell, AA does not fly to Chengdu and none of AA's partners does either so I cannot use AA miles. I can use AA miles from Japan to Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, or Bangkok and then purchase a cheap(?) ticket to Chengdu. JAL offers a codeshare to Chengdu but I do not think AA miles can be used for the codeshare; I would not get status miles or full miles (only a percentage on a JAL or Cathay discounted fare). I think using miles for a portion of the trip makes sense, plus gives me more flexibility since dates can be changed with no penalty.

Thanks again.
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Jed

We went to the panda center in Chengdu. One of the highlights of our China trip was my wife holding baby pandas, even though they charged $25. (Took many pictures.) Well, what the heck, I think it went for a good cause, although I'm not sure the pandas enjoyed it.