Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Pan Pacific Bangkok or Lebua State Tower

Oct 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

We will be going to Bangkok next year and we are deciding between staying at Pan Pacific Bangkok or Lebua State Tower. Prefer a child friendly hotel as our kids will be following this time. Can you pls give me your comments when comparing the two? Thank you in advance.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 03:10 AM

Hi IslandTour,
We were just in Lebua early Aug & then again in early Sept. Although Lebua was great in ALL counts rooms, amenities, facilities & service, we did experience a little unwelcome feeling during our stay there. Our kids are 15, 13 & 9 & unfortunately we were staying at the 52nd floor on our first weekend. This is where the restaurant BREEZE is located. Since these ladies are used to policeing guests re: Dress code issues, they were frequently not quite sure what to do with my teens who would come out of the elevator with their board shorts & wrap arounds from the swimming pool. We also encountered the same issues in the evening trying to get into the elevators as the flank of checkers inspected all those who came though. See earlier thread for more details
<http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=0&dirtyBit=1>

I gave a glowing to the Management & mentioned this not too pleasant experience as well & got an email from the Customer Service Manager apologizing for the situation. This alone impressed me & we were even personally visited by the Manager on our return. Obviously , it was not enough to keep us away the next month. Fortunately, this time we were up in 54th so no more inspections after that.

Given the choice this is a small issue to keep me away from Lebua however double rates in March vs Aug & Sept could make it necessary for us to find another place to enjoy !!!

Hope this helps.

Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

pan pacific is located on rama IV and is not convenient to the sky train....it is a bit issolated except for taxis....i am not sure but the subway might be nearby???

state tower is at the base of silom rd at the corner with new road....also not all that close to skytrain, but not bad....

for a stay with children i prefer the marriott resort and spa...take a look at it...

given the choices you have presented i guess i would choose lebua....you may get a river view from there as well..
Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM

RHKKM. Have you ever been to the Pan Pacific hotel ? It is just around the corner from the Sala Dang station and from the subway station. It is primerily a business hotel with a lot of Japanees customers. Closest to the Patpong night market and Adult entertainment area.

Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi thank you all for the great info.
Now we are deciding between Lebua State Tower and Mariott Resort and Spa

bmttokyo,
In fact, we have read your review on Tripadvisor and seen your pictures earlier. That's the reason why State Tower is on our list...one question for you, may I know where did u book the Loy Nova cruise?

rhkkmk,
Would love to hear your thoughts about Courtyard Bangkok. It does seem to be on a good location too...

Still deciding.. comments are truly appreciated. Thank you again.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

Check out

<http://www.loynava.com/price-public.html> for more info.

Don't forget the 50% off discount for the children- we ended only paying for 3 !/2 pax.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:10 AM

i have been only once to pan pacific for lunch in fact....that was probably about 8 years ago....

i know that courtyard is in a great position.....it is new and provides a lower cost alternative for that area...

i think you would be happy with it....it is about 1 block from the skytrain....

i have read both positive and negetive things about lebua....

personally i prefer the marriott on the river...

Oct 9th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you bmttokyo and rhkkmk,

I made reservation with Loy Nava online and they replied me the next day.

I think the biggest headache is accomodation. Currently have it narrowed down to Pan Pacific and Lebua State Tower. But would like to consider Maritt Resort and Spa and Courtyard Bangkok as well.....

Still undecided..Many thanks for any advice you can offer on accommodation in Bangkok!
Oct 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Island Tour, we enjoyed a lot our Loy Nava dinner cruise. You must reconfirm the booking at the same day and they will pick you up at your hotel.
I hope you and your family will have the happiest time at Bangkok.
Oct 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM

We took bobs advice and stayed at the marriott the first time we went to bkk, and we loved it! We have since returned to the marriott and was awesome the second time, this last time we were there for 1.5weeks. We will return next year with our son this time who is 7, he loves to look @ all our pics and can't wait to go! Sorry I can't help with the other places.
Oct 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to Filloa and travelduo. I appreciate both replies.

We are easy going, a well decent hotel will do..so long as the hotel is clean especially bathroom (which I’m very particular of) and the breakfast is good, we are happy…With the kids we usually get down to the pool; then have casual dinner within easy walking distance from the hotel that is kid friendly. Shopping is not the main attraction but we don’t want to feel too isolated. There are too many great hotels in Bangkok to choose from, we are just unsure which hotel we would like better.

Thanks all, I do appreciate the comments..