Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Overwhelmed by Shanghai. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/overwhelmed-by-shanghai-1623284/)

planningtravel Dec 18th, 2017 05:14 PM

Overwhelmed by Shanghai.

Never been to Shanghai, will be there for five days (six nights) next month and I'm trying to organize a suitable sightseeing itinerary.

I think of the city as a large city and I'm guessing it takes time to travel between the sights. As my time in Shanghai is short I'd really appreciate help in terms of how to organize my sightseeing with limiting time at the tourist traps and travelling within the city more than what is necessary.

I am looking at an itinerary like this:-

Day 1,

Arrive 11.30 am at Pudong Airport, travel to city and explore an area of the city.

Day 2,

Full day in Shanghai

Day 3

Full day in Shanghai

Day 4

Disneyland. Is it possible to see the Chinese Art Museum in the morning (am interested in the building not the exhibits) than go to Disneyland? This will be midweek, I've read the crowds at Disneyland are less on weekdays.

Day 5

Day trip - thinking of Hangzhou, is this wise in January? I am aware that the sights in this area need to be seen in daylight.

Day 6

Day trip to Suzhou, Tongli and Zhouzhuang. Not exactly sure water villages to visit and which to avoid.

Day 7

Depart Shanghai

On day 1, 2 and 3 I'd like to visit these sights:-

The Bund
A rivercruise - do these operate in January?
Bund History Museum
Yuanming Yuan Road.
Rockbund Art Museum (more interested in the building than the exhibits, will only visit if time permits).
Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall
Tomorrow Square
Shanghai No 1 Food Store.
Nanjing Road
People's Square
Tianzifang
Taikung Road
Xintinandi
Yuyuan Gardens
Pudong - which observation deck is best?
1933 Millfan
Moller House
Sky SOHO (if possible)
Era Show
Chinese Art Museum (or can this be done on day 4)
Jade Buddha Temple or Longhua Temple

Trying to plan a sightseeing itinerary is completely overwhelming. Any suggestions how to organize the order in which to see sights will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

HappyTrvlr Dec 18th, 2017 06:14 PM

Don'tmiss the Shanghai Museum. Fabulous, layout makes it so easy to explore.

HappyTrvlr Dec 19th, 2017 11:37 AM

Hangzhou is beautiful but I went there in April. Also visited Suzhou but preferred Hangzhou.
The areas I concentrate on after three trips to Shanghai are the French Concession, Nanjing Road, and The Bund. Visit Yuyuan Garden, Shanghai Museum. Walking in tje French Concession is a great way to spend some time. Nice shops and restaurants. Xintiandi is worth some time too. Of river boats are running at night, take one to see the lighted building facades on both sides of the river.
And you must have a Shanghai Soup Dumpling, Xiao Long Bao, or XLB. They ar excellent at Din Tai Fung with several locations includong one at Xintiandi.

jobin Dec 19th, 2017 03:17 PM

January? U will freeze ur a**.

planningtravel Dec 19th, 2017 08:25 PM

Thanks for the replies.

What is the best way to group the sights?

I'm worried that the sights I'm interested in seeing are spread out all over town and it'll take sometime to travel to the places of interest.

CanadaChinaTraveller Dec 23rd, 2017 05:45 AM

"January? U will freeze ur a**." - depends where the OP is from and how he handles cold/warm weather.
For January this year the mean daily high was 14 and the max was 23. I wish we had this in January where I live.