I've been reading about Thailand (forums, books, tour companies) and I must admit it's a bit like drinking from a firehose. I'm rather overwhelmed with all the information. Initially, I was set on this tour: http://www.gate1travel.com/southeast-asia/thailand-tours-13dclathtu14.aspx but with single supplement, it's almost double. Still affordable overall, but why pay double to be solo? The more I read, the more I want to see, but time and money are restricting my wanderlust. So I'm hoping you good people can help me out a little (or a lot).
I have roughly 2 weeks (14 days, but can probably spend a couple more, depending on how things go) and I'd like to spend some of those days on a beach. I am planning to travel in November of this year (or later, but depends on pricing).
Looking at that link above, many of the activities and optional excursions appeal to me (but not the elephants). The thing I don't like about it the location of the hotels. I do like the tour guide and how things are organized and pre-planned, and having a guide explain how Thailand "works". I kinda know how Europe "works" so I know what to expect when going there, and started off with guided tours to several countries.
I'm seriously considering doing something like this on my own, but don't want to shlep luggage and depend on "public" transportation.
I guess, to start, here are some things about me: traveling solo, female, mid-30s, not a partier, LOVE photography (photography tours are waaaaay too expensive), architecture, cultural activities, and somewhat of a foodie (but can't handle spicy food or pork). I like things a little off the beaten path, but since I'm solo and don't want to drive, not toally off the beaten path. Oh, I've traveled some in Europe (Portugal, Spain, England, Scotland, Prague, VIenna, Budapest), and it took me about 5 years of ever-increasing solo days around an organized tour to do a completely solo tour.
I'd love to hire a private guide, if possible. I was also thinking of taking a cooking class.
What can you recommend, based on the above? Any help is greatly apprecaited. Sorry if this is a little all over.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://www.tripforgoodhealth.com/xaxtus-tboost/
- 2 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 3 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 4 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 5 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 6 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 7 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 8 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 9 PNG : Plumed, primal, proud...
- 10 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 11 Wat Arun
- 12 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 13 Miyajima Island
- 14 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 15 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 16 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 17 Vientiane to LP December
- 18 Safest beach area for solo female in Sri Lanka
- 19 Hotel in Vientiane 18-24 December
- 20 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 21 Prelim itinerary Java, Bali
- 22 5 days in Singapore
- 23 ONLY 3 DAYS in BEIJING -BEST THINGS TO DO?
- 24 Shanghai in January
- 25 24hrs in Seoul on Christmas..what to do
Overwhelmed - 1st timer planning a trip to Asia - need help