Notices

Overland from Laos to Cambodia

Mar 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Overland from Laos to Cambodia

Last time I went to Laos I ran out of time and did not get down to the south. This trip I want to explore the south and then cross the border into Cambodia and take a week or so to get to Phnom Penh. Has anyone had any experience with the border crossing? I've read the Travel fish article (2009) and a few others. A couple of dollars 'bribe' does not worry me but I don't want to get there and find the border closed or no onward transport available. Obviously evisas are not an option but am I better getting a visa in advance or at the border?
Mar 24th, 2012, 12:48 AM

We did this trip in the opposite direction from Kratie to Don Khong via Stung Treng using a combo bus/boat/bus/ferry ticket purchased the day before from our guesthouse. It did take a long time (i.e. the best part of the day) and we were glad we did it as an organised trip (I think around $10) as there was a lot of waiting around and there didn't seem to be much in the way of transport waiting around at the various stops. We did have to pay the $1 "administration fee" at both immigration points. I think this crossing has closed now in favour of a new land crossing.

Have you tried http://www.talesofasia.com/ for more up to date info?
Mar 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that, I tried Talesofasia but their info was even more out of date. I think we'll just play it by ear and see how we are going for time. If we have plenty of time before our flight back to Australia we'll risk the crossing, if not we'll fly from Pakse and explore the north east of Cambodia on another trip. Also I think you are right about the new land crossing.

Search this Thread