Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

other hotel options in golden triangle area

Sep 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Anyone know anything about Phu Chaisai; Viang Yonok or River House Resort. None appeal in the way Anantara does but they are a lot cheaper and if Anantara gets more bad reviews I'd rather spend less. Any other ideas?
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Phu Chaisai is popular these days in the Japanese travel magazines, and to me it looks great, with the various types of activities they have. I saw the signs for the place, but didn't go there. I saw lots of small places that have no internet presense at all...didn't note the names though and didn't do more than drive by. There are also some new places in the building process that look to be about done, maybe opening during high season...but I didn't note their names and when I searched yesterday for other options (curiousity, not another trip yet) I didn't find anything.
Sep 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM

Hi-
My mom is currently looking for the same.
I think she's settled on the Laluna Hotel in Chiang Rai. It looks pretty on the outside and the rooms look "ok" (I'm not a big fan of bedspreads).
What she likes is the location (in town), the price (very affordable), and the fact that they have sightseeing/accomodations packages. They get good reviews on Tripadvisor too.

Phu Chaisai looks interesting, but pretty far out of town. It looks a bit "rustic" and probably better for couples than solo travelers (as she will be). It looks nice on the website, but you might want to look at the candid photos on TA-too much bamboo in the rooms for my taste.

BTW, Mom will be staying at Baan Orapin in a Junior Suite. Thanks for the recommendation!
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Kristina-- Tell your mother to say hi to Opas from Gloria. I'm sure she'll love it. Another option for her in the chiang rai area might be Dusit island resort. it's 5 minutes from the center of chiang rai and is pretty reasonable. I've stayed there a couple of times and thought it was fine -- but I wanted something more "thai" for this trip.

Have you found a driver for your mother yet? I really do recommend Poon -- especially for a single woman.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Kristina-- I just looked at the candid photos of Phu Chaisai on TA. Thanks. I'm with you-- this is NOT for me.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Gloria, unless we hear more negative reports about the Anantara, I'd stick with that. We had a wonderful time there, and others who have been there have also loved it. Kim had a bad experience, and as she said, she was reluctant to complain so the irritations just kept adding up.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Kathie-- I think that's what I'll do. Especially since my friend really wants to do the elephant stuff.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM

anantara is a bit unique....it is all by itself in the middle of no where, imo....it does very well given its remoteness.....the food in the general restaurant was ok, but not fantastic...the italian was very very good...i often eat italian all over the world, and especially in thailand...biscotti in bkk is our favorite thai rest.....thai serving italian....
\
we saw a few other places in the area, but all were considerably lesser in the facilities that they offered and in quality...

remember chiang rai is one hour south by car...

this is the real country out there...
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Gloria, are you looking for a nice hotel just around Chiang Rai or do you mean the whole area of the "golden triangle" including area like Mae Hong Son etc?
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Hi Gloria-
I don't know how much she'll need a driver around Chiang Mai. She may do a day with Sgt. Kai to do her sightseeing around there.

She will need a driver for Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai however. Do you know if Poon does that?
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

To be honest I'm doing the golden triangle area because of who I'm traveling with. I;ve spent a huge amount of time there and don't have a huge need to return. But the Anantara sounded special and my friend has never been and got excited by the elephants. And I thought she should see some of rural thailand -- rest of the time will be in chaing mai and bangkok. I definitely don't want the Mae Hong Son area although I like it a lot -- want someplace easier to get to from chiang mai and easier to get back to bangkok from.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Kristina--
Poon does go from chiang mai to chiang rai.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Gloria-
If your friend is interested in elephants, have you considered going to the Elephant Nature Foundation outside of Chiang Mai?

I haven't been there, but if I were going this is the one I would visit. The woman who runs it rescues abused elephants.
http://www.elephantnaturefoundation.org/go/foundation
She’s been profiled by National Geographic.
You can book a visit online, or go to their office once in Chiang Mai.
Click on Elephant Nature park and then ‘visit the park”.

Tried to get my Mom to go there, but she doesn't think she wants to spend the full day there.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM

There's a little town just Norht West of Chiang Mai call "Pai". You can fly there from Chaing Mai, via a twin prop, or take a 3 hour drive(about 140 km) through some beautiful scenic mountain but with lots of sharp curves.

Pai is very laid back and extremely popular with the backpack crowd. Accommodation used to be quite basic but recently a new hotel open up with quite luxurious accommodation. Kind of nice when you can stay in a luxury place while you hang out in Pai. Beautiful Wats(mostly Burmese style), good hot spring and I saw a lot of elephants.

I don't know if it is your style or not but do check it out and research this little town.
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

I've been to Pai and thoroughly enjoyed it but I don't want to return. I really want to spend all my time in chiang mai and bangkok but because of beth I want to do something more rural in as short and easy a way as possible. What I like about golden triangle/pai area is I can drive there in a short time and coming back can take a non stop flight back to bangkok in the evening. My plan was to spend four nights at the Anantara--and basically have three days there.
Sep 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Where ever you choose I hope you and Beth will have fun.
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Does anyone have a number or email for Poon...I have seen her mentioned many a time but can't find contact info.

Thanks
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

you can contact Poon through her sister Ratt who is a driver in Bangkok. Email address is:
[email protected]
or [email protected]

I'd try both. Feel free to use my name (Gloria Friedman) as I have used them both often and will be using them again in Feb/mar.