Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Osaka to Tokyo (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/osaka-to-tokyo-396175/)

boom_boom Feb 6th, 2004 05:19 PM

Osaka to Tokyo

I am making a first trip to Japan in May and will be in Osaka for a week. I have two days at the end of the trip and wonder if it is worth going to Tokyo for those days and if so, the best way to get there & back.

mrwunrfl Feb 6th, 2004 06:56 PM

No, it's not worth it, IMO. In Osaka for a week? on business? You could spend those two days in Kyoto and Nara. Or visit Himeji and Hiroshima.

mrwunrfl Feb 6th, 2004 07:18 PM

For getting around the Kansai region:
http://www.westjr.co.jp/english/engl...04/kansai.html

There is a sumo tournament in Tokyo from May 9 to May 23. The best way to get there would be on the shinkansen for about 28000 JPY (about US$256) roundtrip. You might be able to fly for around $200 plus the cost of the 4 airport transfers (to/from each airport).

yathy Feb 8th, 2004 07:33 PM

Hi,boom_boom. Welcome to Japan.

I think it's very short to visit to Tokyo two days, but it depends on your interest.

As a Japanese point of view, there are many differences between Osaka and Tokyo, and want you to experience both cities. If you fly to Japan, air tickets between Osaka and Tokyo may be included to the fare to Osaka. Please ask your travel agent.

As mrwunrfl said, it is also good to try Osaka and nearby cities. Kobe is also worth visiting.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay in Japan. If you need further info. please post your message here.

HKTraveler Feb 9th, 2004 06:35 AM

Unless you really want to visit Tokyo, it would be much easier to see Kyoto and Nara and save Tokyo for another trip. Both Kyoto and Nara are closer to Osaka and can be easily combined into a two day trip.

winkenblinken Mar 1st, 2004 08:53 PM

You can take a less-than-2-hour train from Osaka (Namba station, I think) to Koya-san also called Mt. Koya and sleep in one of the 50+ Buddist temples, join in morning chants if you want. See other thread for a fax number for reliable area booking service. Some rooms in some temples have private toilets etc., some have tvs and telephones but that's up to you-- tell the booking place when you send a fax. Everything's the same price, about JY 9000 inlcuding vegetarian lunch and dinner and there are many websites, check Koya-san, Koya san and Mt. Koya/Mount Koya. Guidebooks have suggestions of temples where someone speaks English.

rkkwan Mar 1st, 2004 09:52 PM

If you decide to go to Tokyo, I think the Shinkansen is the way to do it. Just over 2.5 hours into center Tokyo, with extremely frequent trains - like every 5-7 minutes!

Juney Mar 9th, 2004 09:12 PM

Hi boom_boom and all,
I'll be in Osaka too this end of May, boom_boom, are you taking part in some kinda "convention"? I am. Have the same plan of going to Tokyo after that. I personally think that 2 days wont be enuf for that before exploring Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto and Nara first. A first timer to Japan too... Does anyone know the cheapest single trip fare from Osaka to Tokyo?

mrwunrfl Mar 10th, 2004 03:09 AM

According to www.hyperdia.com, the lowest total fare from Osaka station to Tokyo is around 8500 JPY. They show non-shinkansen trips of 9+ hours with 5 transfers at that fare.

For JR from Osaka to Shinosaka and then shinkansen to Tokyo:
13240 for unreserved Nozomi
14050 for reserved Nozomi
Nozomi takes 2 hr 51 min

nikolasu Mar 10th, 2004 06:55 AM

When are you coming in May? There is a long national holiday in May known as Golden Week. This year the holiday falls between April 29th and May 6th and would not recommend trying to travel any long distances if your couple of free days falls within this week. Quite literally, the entire population is on the move and finding things like hotels and reserving the shinkansen will be extremely difficult.

To be honest, the only thing you can do with two days in Tokyo is say 'I've been to Tokyo'. I'd recommend staying in the Kansai (Osaka) region and taking a couple of day trips. Nara and Kyoto are very close and well worth it. You won't need to reserve any trains and the local trains are a doddle to negotiate.

yathy Mar 10th, 2004 09:23 PM

Juney,

If you dare to come to Tokyo from Osaka for very short time, how about using midnight highway buses service between Osaka and Tokyo.
Several bus companies operate such kind of buses, and generally it departs midnight and arrives early in the morning (about 8 hours). One way around 9000JPY.

Of course, it will be a little bit hard and tired trip, but you can use your day time fully in both cities.

Juney Mar 11th, 2004 11:19 AM

Thanks Yathy. Well, to travel in Japan I have to really work out a budget way. Since I'll be in Osaka for 6 days, what do you think of buying a Kansai thru pass or any other ideas?

yathy Mar 13th, 2004 12:56 AM

Hi Juney,
It depends on your plan.

If you travel not only Osaka but nearby cities ( Kobe, Kyoto, Nara and so on ) by JR trains, Japan Railpass for foreign visitors will be good. This pass must be also cover your trip to Tokyo. This pass can be bought by foreign visitors and may be sold outside Japan.

If you only stay within osaka, One day passes will be your choice.
you can choose some kind of passes (JR only, subways only, JR+subways), so ask hotel staff or at train stations. These passes can be bought at train stations in Osaka anytime.

'Kansai thru pass' may be called 'Thrutto Kansai' in Japanese, no?

If so, Thrurtto Kansai has no discout .
This is just a prepaid ticket.
The only benefit is you don't have to buy tickets each time until you have useed the price you paid.

Some passes or tickets for visitors may be bought only outside Japan, so you should plan before you leave home.