Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Oriental's Lord Jim's ACCESS from river?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone suggested we take the river taxi from the Pen. to the Oriental to eat at Lord Jim's.

I am handicapped & I can't do stairs. The person who suggested we do this claimed that the Oriental's pier is a RAMP (very good for me) not stairs... and that there is a path we can take to the hotel & then take the elevator upstairs to Lord Jim's to eat.

I emailed for dinner reservations & they emailed back to say there are stairs from the pier & stairs to the lobby... and that we should take a taxi.

Since we are taking taxis all the other nights (since SkyTrain is not accessible), I had my heart set on taking the river taxi from the Pen. to the Oriental.

Since there are so many Fordoreans that stay at the Pen & the Oriental, someone must know this for sure...

I can't climb steps w/o handrails. Ramps are good, handrails w/ a few steps are okay.

What is the access from the Oriental's pier from the river taxi?

What is the access from the pier to Lord Jim's?

thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:34 PM

There is one step from the boat to the ramp on the pier and depending on river level it can be a high one. Then I think there are a couple of steps (at least) to get into the hotel from the garden. Perhaps most important, I'm not sure that any of the river taxis are good for someone handicapped as getting in and out can be an issue.

Meanwhile Lord Jim is a lovely restaurant. Ask for a window table.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM

It's a step up and over a ledge to get on and off the boats. The boat men can and do assist. The Peninsula's boat will bring you to Oriental Pier, not the hotel (though maybe the hotel if you ask?). At Oriental Pier, you have to go up a big step, then a ramp, then a couple of steep steps up and down to the street, then walk a bit to get to the hotel entrance.

Where the Oriental's boat docks, right at the hotel dock, I remember there being a step as well...seems like Gloria described that well.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I forgot that the Penn boat doesn't go to the Oriental Hotel pier but rather the neraby pier. I would say that would be a real problem so you would need to make sure the Penn boat would take you to the hotel pier. Basically, the river taxi while pleasant is not that big a deal. I'd take a taxi.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ladies. We will take a taxi... and perhaps go out onto the river for a ride (I'll tip the Pen. guys to help me) at night another time... whereas my husband can life me up one step... walking up more steps doesn't seem worth it... before dinner in the dark. I am sure I will be muscle exhausted from 6 days in Siem Reap & 2 days w/ Tong's associate Jerry.

I know it's pricey, but all the reviews I've read (and yes I DID reserve a window table) make it sound like a wonderful place to eat... our last night in BKK.

Now, if I could just get D'Sens to commit to a window table.

I emailed the Pen. & asked them to recommend highend French restaurants & they recommended: C'yan (which is NOT French but Aussie & Mediterranean fusion w/ an Aussie chef)
and Le Banyan & sent a website for some sort of translation website... nothing to do w/ the restaurant at all.

So, I emailed back & asked them to refer it to a manager who was more familiar with cuisine.

Awaiting a reply.

The food at Aubergine sounds wonderful, we are going there too... unless we go to Harvey's.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:02 PM

I can't remember off of the top of my head whether or not there were stairs. But, if you do go to the restaurant, get a table near the window, arrive right before sunset, and take a shawl or light sweater because it's cold in there...the air conditioning. And by the way, we're Fodorites. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM

there might be a couple of stairs out of the boat and getting on and off the boat can be hard if you have trouble...

BEST ALTERNATIVE IS TO GO BY TAXI...

plus its fun to arrive via taxi...

in the hotel there is an elevator to the 2nd floor for you....there is one or two steps within the restaurant but you can perhaps request a table on the upper tier....which is away from most of the windows...but not all...
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 04:03 AM

Oksana-- I took my mother to the Oriental when she was in her late 70s and had a very bad hip. The boatmen at the Oriental were fabulous getting her on and off the boat and didn't expect a tip -- although my mother gave one to all of them at the end of our stay. What meant a lot to her was she didn't have to ask for their help -- they just did it.I would hope (actually expect) that the staff at the Penn would do the same without having to ask. If they don't they shouldn't be considered one of the top hotels in the world.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:49 AM

I don't remember any steps going into the restaurant as Bob has mentioned. I ate there when I stayed at the Oriental and remember getting off the elevator on the floor of the restaurant and walking in without any steps. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM

I think the steps are farther into the restaurant which I vaguely recall being on more than one level. However, it there is a step it is a very minor one and there will be plenty of people to help.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:43 AM

lord jim was renovated about 1-2 years ago and they installed two levels....its sort of like steping down in a sunken living room...only one step---no hand rails as i recall
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:14 AM

There are interior steps in Lord Jim. One or two possibly, right between the table area and the buffet stations and entry.

I wouldn't count on the Oriental being quite that helpful anymore. During our last stay, it was apparent that the service has been cut back noticeably.

Still think Lord Jim is worth the effort though.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

As for Fordorites... Hmm, I'm a Californian, American & there are Floridians, Texans, Chicagoans, Bostonians so I figured I am a Fodorean!
;-)

The one step inside the restaurant has never been an issue (my husband is 1 ft. taller & 100 lb. heavier--so lifting petite 'moi' is never an issue)... I was just concerned about getting from the pier.

Bob had suggested to me (privately) that I tip the Pen. guys-- which I intend to do, my concern was once the ferry docks at the Oriental... and it seems that no provisions have been made for disabled, handicapped, bad knees, backs or hips... which is too bad. I just cannot climb stairs with no handrails... if there are handrails I pull myself up with my arms... Since there are stairs w/ no handrails & then more stairs, we'll take a cab.

I'm hoping that we can just take the river ferry from the Pen. (where we're staying at night) just to go out on the river to see the view at night.
Is that possible?

As far as Lord Jim's, we have a dinner res. (no buffets for us) with a window table confirmed.

Now, if I could only get D'Sens to reply!

BTW, Augergine (French food, French chef at half the price or less of D'Sens) in a Thai house, is a delight to deal with by email. Then sent a map in Powerpoint & when I requested it as a PDF w/ street names/addresses in Thai too, they just sent it on over the next day... and photos of the fois gras (when I said we loved it). Neat! ;-)
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:03 PM

There is a rail when you get off the boat at the Oriental Hotel -- or maybe it's that the boatment help by holding your hand and then you go to a rail.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM

the thing you have to realize about all the boats is that getting on and off can sometimes be a hastle depending on the river height at that moment and the particular dock.....the penn guys are fantastic and after your wonderful tip will be super helpful for you....they are a great bunch....smiles really help too....

at both oriental and penn there is a guard and usually on the penn boat there are two helpers....so you will be all set...

no problem taking rides on the river with penn boat....go to taskim as often as you want and just stay on.....go to river city hourly and just stay on....or get off if it is easy....

you can always take a taxi back...

one time at nite i asked if we could just have a last ride as we were leaving in the AM....the penn guys took us down under the nearby bridge and back....lots of laughing....and a tip of course...it doesn't have to be a huge tip, just not 10B (gpanda).....a couple of hundred (B) is fine...
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 06:39 PM

the other advantage of the taxi is that you arrive cool and dry for your dinner....

buffet is every lunch time.....

hope you love it!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM

Oksana, the Peninsula boat does not take you anywhere near the Oriental Hotel..it is quite a walk to the hotel from where the boat will let you off...I am talking about blocks and blocks, unless I missed something.

You can take the Pen boat at night to cross the river to the Skytrain stop; they also run once an hour to the shopping center near the Sheraton..River something..but I am not certain when this service ends in the evening.

The Peninsula also has a daily sunset cruise that is quite pricey but would allow you to get some river time in great comfort. I did not do this so cannot report.

I just returned and have not yet written any kind of report but will be happy to answer questions..
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM

The Peninsula boat will take you to the Oriental Pier (water taxi/general boat stop) next to the Oriental. It's not blocks and blocks, but down the street from the pier and turn left into the street entrance of the Oriental hotel.

The Peninsula boat will also take you to the skytrain, the Peninsula Pier, and River City (less frequently and only during River City's open hours).
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM

Kim, I suspected that I might have missed a turn someplace when I got off the Peninsula boat at their landing and walked to the Oriental! I DID walk blocks and blocks, but now I know there was a shorter way to the hotel! Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all advice...

I'm going to take a taxi as I don't want to deal w/ all those stairs.. but will follow Bob's advice, tip the Pen's ferry boatmen & just go for a night ride... to look at the beautiful skyline from the river... we leave it 1.5 weeks!