onsen or room in Kakunodate

Sep 14th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

onsen or room in Kakunodate

We are thinking of staying two nights next April in Tsurunoyu Onsen near Towadako Lake and two nights in maybe Kakunodate. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice hotel or minshuku or ryokyan for one or two nights in Kakunodate? We would like a nice place for under 200 US total if possible but will go up to 200 p/p or more if really something special.

Anywhere else in the immediate area worth a day or two or a must see?

Aloha!
Sep 14th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Yes. The JR Hotel at the station is an excellent bargain. The room I had there faced the town and was not noisy (except during the hellacious thunderstorm). The room was basic but comfortable and a bit larger than a business hotel.

Kakunodate is a neat little town. Definitely go and see the samurai houses. You'll probably meet the guy I did who owned one of the places and was a proud descendant of a samurai. Just beyond those places is a river that is flanked with cherry trees. Should be spectacular when they are blooming IN APRIL! hopefully when you are there.

Kakunodate is a small town, though, so you might want to spend only one night there, esp. since you will probably want another night at Towadako.

I know the idea of a JR hotel at a train station doesn't sound like a great idea, but it is. Book it in advance.
Sep 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM

I thought the rates were a bit lower than listed on that webpage. Should be able to get a discount by showing a JR Pass.
Sep 15th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

thanks bill....I was looking at the JR hotel in Kakunodate so I am reassured by your recommendation. I am thinking of a JR East any 4 days in 1 month pass, that should give me a discount at the hotel right?

If one day is enough in Kakunodate I think we'll head down to Sendai and thru to Matsushima for a couple of days. Have you ever been to Matsushima? Any good places to stay that you might recommend or heard of?

I am a little intimidated by the travel from Tokyo to Tsurunoyu Onsen as you know it's pretty remote.....oh well live and learn! This should be interesting!

Aloha nui loa!
Sep 15th, 2006, 09:28 AM

You might do better to go from Tokyo to Kakunodate and stay there overnight. Go to Towadako the next day and stay two nights. Or maybe return to K for the 2nd night, but that doesn't seem ideal. The webpage above mentions that the JR hotel is good for 1 night; though maybe a second night elsewhere in K. Depends on where you think the flowers might smell better.

I visited Matsushima as a day trip from Sendai. I stayed in a biz hotel that I arranged thru the TA at JR Sendai station. Just had a flash of memory of a cute uniformed girl standing in an info both indicating gracefully with her gloved hands the direction to the TA office.

I don't know exactly where your onsen is. Maybe it is similarly situated to where I visited. I stayed in Kakunodate and then went to Nyuto Onsen for a day trip. This involved going east to the next shinkansen stop and then getting a bus that went up and up into the hills. It took a while and would probably be tiring after a train ride from Tokyo. The last bus from the station to Nyuto left pretty early, 5PM or 6PM, so be sure to check the bus schedule if you plan on getting to the JR station that is the gateway to your onsen if you think you'd be arriving at the station after 3PM.
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Bill,

was there anything in Sendai worth seeing?
I was thinking of spending at least a nite in Matsushima....maybe two then head on back to Tokyo.

Yes to get to Tsurunoyu onsen you have to get off of the train at Towado-ko station and catch a 45 minute bus into the hills. I beleive the Tsuru is the last onsen on the mountain. If I catch the wrong bus I have a twenty minute walk sooooo maybe I will spend the first night in Kaku and head out to Tsuru after lunch the next day.

Aloha!
Sep 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM

I didn't see anything, except city, in Sendai. I flew there from Fukuoka before going to Matsushima and then heading north. They've got a big league baseball team now. Somebody else on this forum mentioned Sendai recently so maybe you can find some info about the place. Seemed like a nice enough city.

Your description of Tsurunoyu Onsen sounded SO MUCH like my visit to Nyuto Onsen, for good reason:

http://tinyurl.com/h2s9f

See the paragraph:
A handful of hot springs are located in the area of Nyuto Onsenzato, just a few miles away from the shore of Lake Tazawa. Out of all inns in the Nyuto Onsen group, the Tsurunoyu Onsen is the oldest and most authentic.