Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   One Way Ticket to Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/one-way-ticket-to-asia-903097/)

pshawn Aug 17th, 2011 06:34 PM

One Way Ticket to Asia

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting to Fodors and I'm very excited to be a part of the community. I am a 35 year old entrepreneur and am just wrapping up a business and will have, for the first time in a long time, some time on my hands :) So I'm renting my home, putting my stuff in storage and buying a one way ticket to China, with plans to travel throughout Asia for 6 months, starting SEPT. 15th!

While part of the fun of having so much time is NOT planning to far in advance, I'm wondering if any of you world travelers out there could give me some advice in terms of ball park how long I should consider staying in each country and in what order I should go.

I'm flying into Beijing because it's in Northern China, so I figured I'd start north, and then make my way to southern cities/countries as we head into winter. Here's what I'm thinking... I'd love to get your feedback as to can't miss places in the countries below, and/or countries I may not list as well as the order I'm thinking going in. Here goes...

China/Tibet
India
Thailand (I've already been to Bangkok)
Laos
Indonesia

*Any other must-see places in SE Asia? Is Singapore or Philippines worth considering? Also, I've already toured Japan. I've been in Ho Chi Mihn and Siem Riep, but should I consider checking out other places in Vietnam and/or Cambodia?

Finally, I'd love the inside scoop on SCUBA diving. What are some favorite dive spots in Thailand and Bali? Also I've read good things about the Andamans off India. Any other must-dive spots?

Finally, if anyone is planning on being in any of these countries, perhaps we could meet up along the way :)

Thanks in advance everyone and happy traveling!

Cheers,

Phil

marmot Aug 17th, 2011 07:02 PM

Indonesia is a large country geographically and culturally. I’d put Central Java around Yogyakarta and Bali at the top of the list. You could devote at least a week there.

Bali has some good diving off the east and north coasts. For profoundly good diving look at Sulawesi, especially the northern part around Manado – Bunaken and Lembeh Strait. E.g: http://www.divekbr.com/

There are also some excellent dive opportunities in the southern part of Sulawesi too. If you’re a culture aficionado try to fit in Tanah Toraja in Central Sulawesi.

rkkwan Aug 17th, 2011 07:12 PM

You can spend half a year all in China and not seeing all of it. But usually your visa will allow 30 days a time.

rhkkmk Aug 17th, 2011 07:35 PM

you need visas for several of these countries... get those now... it takes 2 weeks for the indian one.. you might consider a quick trip to nyc or DC to get them all at once...

i don't think you can go from china to tibet directly..

sin is worth a couple of days..

similan islands can be good for diving

magical Aug 17th, 2011 10:15 PM

Happy for you to have 6 mo for a trip to Asia. There are some major cultures that you can visit and enjoy in that time. My rough cut would be as follows:
China/Tibet----1 mo
North India---1 mo
South India---3 weeks
Laos--1 to 2 weeks
Thailand---1 mo
Indonesia/Bali--1 mo
Diving---add time in each country as you see it. Perhaps dive experts can add to this .
Singapore--couple of days, perhaps between flights from one country to another.

Consider adding Nepal/Kathmandu---1 to 2 weeks.
Enjoy planning your trip.

qwovadis Aug 18th, 2011 02:49 AM

Congrats!

weather2travel.com Climate guides

generally stay north in fall head south when

monsoon breaks... www.sawadee.com awsome diving

around Koh Tao #1 in Thailand Phuket many other ares.

www.virtualtourist.com excellent local info

travel.state.gov for crime safety mdtravelhealth.com medical

quotewright.com comp trip insurance always wise for me

China and India/Kathmandu first fly over Everest

then work your way down south keralahouseboat.org pretty cool

airasia.com good econo for flights aound...

2 One ways lots more costly than RT airasia.com usually

cheapest one way LON to KUL from 140 Quid so might look at

that relax stay flexible no clue about your budget but

best deals usually found locally by hard bargaining many

online scammers I NEVER wire money always pay with CC...

otel.com asiarooms.com betterbidding.com best hotel deals

usually even 5 stars from $50 if careful..

Happy Travels!

thursdaysd Aug 18th, 2011 05:08 AM

You could easily just split that time between China and India... You can certainly enter Tibet from China - it's easiest to arrange from Kunming or Chengdu if you fly, although probably not for the train. The regulations change frequently, and I think it's off limits altogether right now, but should be open again by the time you get there. You can go overland from Tibet to Nepal, also worth seeing, although not to India. If you have the money, consider a visit to Bhutan, but make sure there's a festival.

Consider adding Sri Lanka to south India. You can fly from Colombo to Singapore, and go north through Malaysia to Thailand. Or fly to Indonesia. You probably need to choose either Indonesia or IndoChina - Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are all worth some time.

Kathie Aug 18th, 2011 05:31 AM

I know six months sounds like a long time, but you are going to an endlessly fascinating part of the world.

I agree with the recommendations to add Sri Lanka and Nepal to your itinerary.

Of course, you won't be able to see it all. I'd suggest you spend some time prioritizing, so you have some sense of what is most important to you to so/do/experience. In my decades to travel to Asia, I've found that Asian travel is best taken slowly, savored.

You might find some of our photos helpful in making decisions about some places: www.marlandc.com

rkkwan Aug 18th, 2011 07:34 AM

Tibet has been open to foreign tourists since late July. Problem right now is very high "bribes" required to get train tickets INTO Tibet. But flying in in September shouldn't be an issue if one has the TTB permit.