Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   One night in BK: which hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/one-night-in-bk-which-hotel-448148/)

SusieR Oct 25th, 2008 05:56 AM

One night in BK: which hotel?

Hello

We're staying in Bangkok for one night in November, en route to Phuket.

We only have one full day in BK and are looking for a hotel close to the main sights - but we're not bothered about being close to the shops.

We don't want to spend more than £120 and have narrowed it down to the following (we've looked on Trip Advisor already!) and wondered what you think or if you can recommend another:

Millennium Hilton
Shangri La
Lebua at State Tower
Sofitel Silom

Thanks in advance!

simpsonc510 Oct 25th, 2008 06:10 AM

Since you only have the one day, I'd go for the Shangri-La. It would be the most conveniently located, in my opinion. It has the skytrain and water taxis right next door. You don't want to have to waste time in regular taxis since your time is so short.
Carol

rhkkmk Oct 25th, 2008 06:44 AM

i agree with carol, but i am wondering if you would not prefer being over in the middle of town near the skytrain there: conrad, four seasons, marriott courtyard, hyatt, bkk holiday inn plenochit, intercontinental, jw marriott, westin, sheraton grande.....my choice would be sheraton grande i think because you walk right out to the skytrain and there are many restaurants in that area....

not sure how the money works out in those hotels however...

rhkkmk Oct 25th, 2008 07:29 AM

there is another sofitel near sukhumvit too if you wanted to check it out---newer and better located than the one on silom..

simpsonc510 Oct 25th, 2008 09:27 AM

I've stayed at that Sukhumvit Grande Sofitel. It's very nice!

But Bob, I think the OP wanted to be near the tourist stops. Those are mostly along the river. Just my way of thinking....

Carol

rhkkmk Oct 25th, 2008 12:26 PM

i see what you mean carol, but my thinking is always that sumhumvit is nearer to the sights as some find the river boats hard to use...they are not but some find them hard..

Smeagol Oct 25th, 2008 03:01 PM

I'd go with the Shangri la

SusieR Oct 26th, 2008 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies - so it seems that the Shangri-la is the front-runner, although the Sofitel Silom is a bit cheaper so we might still go for that :)

Can anyone recommend a restaurant near the Shangri-la for the evening? Our budget will be approx £25 per person excluding drinks, and anything except Chinese food or steaks is fine!

I also came across a small hotel called Arun Residence, which is right next to the Grand Palace. Do you think that would be a better location bearing in mind that, after the sightseeing, we'll want to have a good meal out?

Cheers!

Smeagol Oct 26th, 2008 11:00 AM

farley close is Tounge Thai, Harmonique (which is a favourite of the regulars here) and gallery Cafe. ( have been to the first one)

YOU MUST go to the Sky bar at the top of the State towers (the bar where Scirocco restuarant is - google it) literally round the corner from the SL. My favourite bar in the world, great views- beware though men must wear closed in shoes

rhkkmk Oct 26th, 2008 11:02 AM

arun has a great location but transportation is difficult and taxis have a hard time finding it...it also gets mixed reviews...

if you have it down to sofitel and sh-la...stretch your budget for sh-la...its a fantastic lux hotel with great river views...try to have breakfast included....join their FF club to receive some free upgrades, which also include a free breakfast (in some locations) or at least a discounted one...

harmonique, soi 34, new road is our favorite and for 25 pounds the two of you can eat there including drinks...its a unique place...

tongue thai, behind OP Place which is behind the oriental hotel is also good and maybe 25 pounds too...small and unique...

gallery cafe off of capt. bush rd near the royal orchid sheraton is maybe 30 pounds per couple...

all of these can be reached from boats on the river or short taxi rides...ask them to get you a taxi back to the hotel, which is a sort of around the block affair as the roads are 1 way...

there is a good restaurant in the silom sofitel...its name escapes me..

baan khanitha on sathorn is good also and probably 25-30 pounds per couple...

none of these prices include a bottle of wine which is wildly expensive in thailand...

angenelli in the sh-la is a fantastic italian rest. and i think you could eat there carefully for maybe 40 pounds for the two...one beer each...water is very expensive there....one tiny evian 3 years ago was $7.50 US.

Guenmai Oct 26th, 2008 11:06 AM

Since you only have one day, I vote for Shangri-La, too. Happy Travels!

Craig Oct 26th, 2008 11:23 AM

We had one day last February in the Shang en route to Sri Lanka and it was great - skytrain being next door was very convenient. Harmonique or Tongue Thai are just a very cheap taxi ride away and both are good. The Shang is worth the price just to be on the river.

LeighTravelClub Oct 26th, 2008 11:26 AM

Certainly, Shangri-La !! from your list of options.

One day in Bangkok....that would be my choice.

simpsonc510 Oct 26th, 2008 04:16 PM

The restaurant at the top of the Sofitel Silom is V9. It's a very nice place! Lovely view! 37th floor? Sorry I didn't write down a price in my journal. It is possibly more than you want to spend for dinner.

Mango7 Oct 27th, 2008 07:47 AM

I 2nd the Sofitel Silom like Carol

SusieR Oct 27th, 2008 02:01 PM

Thanks for the further responses. BUT we have just learnt that the only day we are there (Sat 15th Nov) is the day of the Princess' funeral and apparently tourist sights may be closed / it will be really busy.

Does anyone have any more info about this?

Thanks !!

dogster Oct 27th, 2008 04:17 PM

Well, if it is the day of the funeral, surely you have an opportunity to see a once in a lifetime event.

The tourist sights will always be there. It's not often a revered member of the Royal Family is laid to rest [or whatever it is they'll do]. I'd go, get someone to guide you and check out this potentially amazing thing. You'll never see it again.

BKK experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

rhkkmk Oct 27th, 2008 05:22 PM

that is the time for the funeral but i thought it was a day or so later??

the main royal tourist sites will be closed but some other things will probably be open....

lets see if michaelbkk or hanuman have comments as they will know

Smeagol Oct 27th, 2008 10:44 PM

I believe the Royal funeral will take place between Nov 14th to Nov 19th, with the Grand Palace and other sites close for some if not ALL of those days.
There are loads of discussions about this on trip Advisor

gard Oct 28th, 2008 07:43 AM

Hi

I stayed at Lebua last year and I was impressed with that...large room, great service, nice view etc. You will find a review and pictures in my trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm . I have also been to Sofitel on Silom a couple of times as they have a great wine bar...V9. The hotel looks nice.

I also stayed at Sukhumvit Grande Sofitel in June and that is also nice. Once again you can find a review in my trip report :-) Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures