Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   One night in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/one-night-in-bangkok-545170/)

sept_honeymoon Jul 18th, 2005 07:07 PM

One night in Bangkok

Hi all - here's a random situation. Due to our use of frequent flier miles and timeshare, we have a weird situation where we'll be in Bangkok for 4 full days, Phuket for 7 and then back in Bangkok for a night before flying out of the country. We're staying at the Penn during the full 4 days but not sure what to do about that last night. We don't want to drive a long distance away from the airport for just one night but would like to be in a nice hotel with nice services and some good activities/restaurants nearby. Any suggestions from this group?

Kathie Jul 19th, 2005 06:57 AM

When are you going? As you may know, the new Bangkok AIrport is supposed to open early next year, so that will change what is and is not conventient to the airport.

rhkkmk Jul 19th, 2005 07:52 PM

take a look at the sofitel central...its not too far from the airport....

be careful as the airport location will change in the next year...

sept_honeymoon Jul 20th, 2005 05:39 AM

we're going next week; talk about last minute eh? we ended up just booking the holiday inn based on a recommendation on another post i found. thanks though!

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2005 09:58 AM

sept...highly recommend asking for the upgrade to the exec. floor at HI...i think it is now $40 per nite but the club room privledges are well worth it...the snacks are enough for your dinner...the breakfast is excellent...the mattresses are far better than in the reg rooms....

saglassman Jul 20th, 2005 10:53 AM

Go back to the Peninsula. We stayed there for three nights recently, and have never experienced anything like it. It is fabulous!!!

The airport is no more than 30 minutes away, unless you're going in rush hour. Ratt, our wonderful driver/guide, picked us up promptly and delivered us there and charged 500 baht (about $12.50.) If you are leaving before breakfast time, the hotel packs you a delicious box breakfast. Also, the lobby has coffee and pastries all through the night.
You are near terrific restaurants, including the ones in the hotel.

Oh, to be back at the Peninsula . . .

Sylvia in Philly

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2005 08:36 PM

the penn will also deliver to your room a wonderful room service breakfast in lieu of the downstairs breakfast if you are leaving early...we always have it at 3:10 AM for our 6AM flight....it includes delicious hot eggs etc...

sept_honeymoon Jul 21st, 2005 12:42 AM

Great tip on the exec floor at the HI. I wish we could go back to the penn but it seems so silly seeing that we'll be there such short amount of time on our way back out of Thailand. We'll enjoy every minute we're there those 4 nights though!! Oh and we've already booked ratt to pick us up from the airport and for two days of driving to activities. 6 days to go.. Can't wait!

orgy7 Jul 21st, 2005 01:47 AM

what time would you get to hotel.. and leave for the airport?

I agree with RHKNK. Sofitel seems like a good option for you.. it is connected too a big mall. you cold walk around lad prao distirict. and if you wish there is a subway station a few blocks away wich will quicikly and cheeply connect ya too the heart of the city.

glorialf Jul 21st, 2005 03:28 AM

Say hi to ratt from gloria and tell her I'm looking forward to seeing her and Poon in January,

saglassman Jul 21st, 2005 02:16 PM

And say hi to Ratt from Sylvia and Al Glassman. Having her as our guide/driver made all the difference!

orgy7 Jul 21st, 2005 07:38 PM

I've always wondered if her name is pronounce R-at or L-at.. many thais pronounce r's as l's

glorialf Jul 21st, 2005 07:39 PM

She pronounced it with the r