Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Offwego - visiting the orphanages in BKK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/offwego-visiting-the-orphanages-in-bkk-666916/)

Elizabeth_S Dec 29th, 2006 03:06 PM

Offwego - visiting the orphanages in BKK

We are booked with Tong for January 24th and 25th - 2 of our 4 full days in Bangkok...it's our first visit to Bangkok (for that matter it's our first visit to Asia).

We're arriving from Siem Reap - where we're spending 5 days with Ponheary and Dara including a visit to a school (and we plan a donation to her foundation).

I followed your trip in September when you visited the orphanages with Tong.....your words were very affecting.

I'm seriously considering asking Tong to replicate that day trip for us.......my feeling is we have 3 other days to do the typical tourist-y things but we should also experience other realities......I guess my question is - am I nuts to do this instead of the typical tourist stuff? Hard for you to answer, I realize.....but any comments would be helpful and appreciated

cjbryant Dec 29th, 2006 08:16 PM

I can't speak to the orphanages and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but...

I spent time at a school with Ponheary in Siem Reap last month. It was a truly amazing and moving experience.

As you'll be able to see for yourself, donations to the PLF are put to very good use.

Enjoy your travels!

beaker Dec 29th, 2006 10:13 PM

Having worked with children's NGOs in China and SEA, I would strongly urge you to visit one of these institutions to see life from a child's view.

One of my most memorable visit was to an 0rphanage nursery with 40 babies in cribs. None of them, not one, was crying because they had learned that it didn't matter if they cried. The overworked but caring staff simply had no time to address their emotional needs.

The babies had given up.

beaker Dec 29th, 2006 10:41 PM

Elizabeth, I am not trying to put drama into this thread, but you have raised an insightful question about visiting institutions on your trip. Obviously institutions vary in quality in every country, but if you want to measure how committed they are to the children, after you visit the room with kids that they first show you, ask to see the kids who are mentally retarded or have physical disabilities or are HIV positive. Their room is often in the far back or upstairs, and usually they do not have pretty wallpaper, toys or someone playing the piano for them. Most times, outsiders cannot visit these kids.

How we treat these children speaks volumes about us, and what is really important in our cultures. Now this is a true travel experience.

Gpanda Dec 30th, 2006 07:35 AM

Elizabeth-Four of us spent a day with Tong in November. It included a visit to the orphanages. It was wonderful. This was reported in my trip report as well as RhkKmk's. You can skip these and just book the day with her. Just go with it.

offwego Dec 30th, 2006 02:47 PM

Hi Elizabeth

Yes, definitely ask Tong to take you to the orphanges. There are bunches of them in Bangkok proper and if you're heading out to Kanchanaburi (to Tiger Temple. etc) there is another one out there that is a bit more rural that she just recently discovered and she says it's much more destitute than the BKK orphanages.

Spend 20 bucks or so on diapers, etc or make a donation. If you've got the heart for it, have Tong take you to see the mentally challenged kids and spend some time with them.

Temples and Palaces are great, but interacting with these kids is illuminating in a whole other way. Please go.

Lori

BeniciaChris Dec 30th, 2006 05:32 PM

My heart is aching for these children-I want to hold them in my arms

dogster Dec 30th, 2006 07:17 PM

Forgive my lack of Christmas cheer: can anyone explain to me just WHY one would want to visit orphanages?

Some might think that we are turning these kids into yet another tourist attraction.

Is this about the kids feeling good - or about YOU feeling good?

rhkkmk Dec 30th, 2006 07:38 PM

as gpanda said we did very much enjoy our time at the orphanage--and think the kids did as well...it is very worthwhile, but so are the ones right in your back yard--have you visited them recently???

we asked to do this kind of thing because we have done the touristy things in bkk many times....

to your question...i guess it depends on the focus of your trip and your life and what you think is more important...???? combining the two might be a good idea, but if you are already doing it in SR, is your time better spent doing traditional things in bkk?? only you know this...you can always send money, via tong; and don't forget the ones near to where you live...

beaker Dec 30th, 2006 08:38 PM

Dogster,

One might want to go see these kids to get beyond the self indulgence of being a tourist and just thinking about one's own needs. Nothing wrong with that, I certainly do that on vacation. Some folks might want to have another type of experience in addition just finding the best buy on silk in Bangkok.

If you do not wish to see unpleasant things just don't go...pretty simple.

You can be judgemental about a persons motive for seeing the kids if you wish, but I can assure you the kids you interact won't question the visitor's motives. Their day will be just a little bit better.