Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Odysseys Unlimited or Overseas Adventure Travel

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:20 PM
flo

My husband and I are planning to take a tour to China and have narrowed the choice of tour companies down to two: Odysseys Unlimited and Overseas Adventure Travel. If you have traveled with either of these companies, I would greatly appreciate any info you might share: size of group, expertise of guides and their knowledge and appreciation for the culture, accomodations, etc. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:25 PM
geri

Flo: I did the OAT trip to China and Tibet in June, 2000, and overall was very satisfied. Sights are spectacular and varied. Hotels were basic tourist types, meals were somewhat of a disappointment as were mostly in large establishments catering to tourists. Had done the OAT trip to Thailand in 1999 and most meals were in small, local type places. Our guide was a young Chinese girl who obviously was somewhat lacking in experience and therefore had some problems with rather pushy, demanding members of our group. I think there were 16 of us that time.

The great thing about OAT is the size of the group--I went to Peru and Ecuador with them this past May with just 11 other tour members; the guide was absolutely the best and we had a most compatible group. I'm ready to travel with them again, next to India or Turkey.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time!