Majestic Grande, New Holiday Inn & Pathumwan Princess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying at the Marriott Resort & Spa but also want to stay in another location - I can't decide between these 3 hotels - Majestic Grande, Holiday Inn (Ploenchit) and the Pathumwan Princess. Let me know what you think is best in terms of comfort, convenience and overall satisfaction.

Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM

The Majestic Grande was almost our choice for our trip last Christmas...we got free room with Hilton Honors points at the Conrad instead, though, so no firsthand report. Their lower priced rooms are very small...you can see the room size on their website. I don't like to stay in a room that is less than 30 m2, but I really much prefer a room that is at least 40 m2...you might want to carefully look at their website and the room size and pictures if you decide to stay there.

The Pathumwan Princess is a popular mid-range choice, especially with shoppers as the location is very good for shopping. I don't know about the Holiday Inn at all as we've never considered it I've never looked at it all.

Are you sure you want to move from hotel to hotel with only 3 nights in Bangkok? It will take a good couple of hours of your time...pack up, check out, move, check in...personally, I wouldn't go to the trouble. You have such a short time already it's a shame to waste it moving hotels.

If you are moving because of the Marriott location 15 minutes boat ride from the Skytrain then maybe consider the Shangri-la instead...they have some really great rates on their website www.shangri-la.com or else just stay all 3 nights off of the river at one of the places you mention on this post.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:23 PM

I just checked your itinerary again and you are in BKK twice, so it isn't unreasonable to stay at two places. January 6 - 8, the S-la has a Suite package that might be a really nice splurge for $239.00++...an excellent rate for a suite with breakfast and a one-way transfer and Horizon Club benefits (all day soft drinks and evening cocktails. Nice package I think.

If you choose the Majestic Grande, get at least the Grande Deluxe room. If a large and luxurious pool is important to you, know that the pool at the MG is small but nice.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:00 AM

i have toured the HI and it is quite nice....the pool area is not nice however....small and right off the lobby... the rooms are very nice and a bit compact...but for two persons it is fantastic....the location is fantastic too and decent access to the skytrain....

majestic is also a good choice....its location is equally good....the rooms may also be a bit small in comparison to the marriott, but that really does not matter much...i think the pool area may be a bit nicer...

i have not visited the PP but i believe it is older and i really would not want to stay in the siam area...but i know people like it very much for a mid-range hotel
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - so hard to decide since they all seem like nice hotels. Which hotel do you find most convenient to transportation?

rhkkmk-why wouldn't you want to stay in the siam area? Is it a seedy location?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 09:14 AM

no its not seedy , its just very busy...it is really at one end of the city while most things i do are at least 1/2 way down the blvd...if not 3/4...including the very good restaurants we like...

i also like to stay at the newest hotel i can as i find their systems all work well and their beds are newer and they have the latest conveniences...

if we were choosing we would pick the majestic grande, but as most know i am sold on the marriott resort and spa....it has everything we want and more....can't beat the price for the other places however....you would be happy with any of them...
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rhkkmk. I initially liked MG but then I started reading other posts where they liked the other hotels. I think we will book at MG.

Thanks for all your advise...I don't know how i would plan for this trip without your wonderful suggestions!
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 06:15 PM

I'd pick the Majestic Grande. I went by there and got the walk-through of the place in August...out of curiosity. I liked it and the vibe there... and it's very convenient. I would highly recommend that you get a room at least 40 square meters big. I saw rooms of different sizes.
As for the Patanum(sp?) Princess...it's next to MBK mega shopping center which I detest, although I know many like the place. It's just in a VERY busy and crowded area. There's nothing seedy about the Siam area. You can easily take the skytrain to Siam area from the Majestic Grande. There's a LOT of shopping at Siam, plus the Siam skytrain station is the main station and interchange.
As for the Intercontinental, haven't checked it out yet. Maybe I'll check it out next time out of curiosity. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM

If you look at Tripadviser.com, the PP gets great reviews for the money. It certainly is not the Marriott, but I have a deluxe with big windows for about$110 in January. I like to be near the shopping center to quickly pick up stuff I need.