Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Oberoi v W hotel for female solo traveller to Bali? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/oberoi-v-w-hotel-for-female-solo-traveller-to-bali-904916/)

violetm Sep 3rd, 2011 03:56 PM

Oberoi v W hotel for female solo traveller to Bali?

I'm planning a week's r&r in Bali in October, and need some advice on where to stay. I'm a (young) 41 year old female and happy to spend time in my own company. I like luxury boutique hotels or spa resorts, but my budget is limited to 300 USD a night (preferably nearer 250). I'd like some time chilling out by the pool/beach reading, some boutique shopping, some culture/sightseeing. I like good food and don't mind eating in restaurants alone, but would prefer not to be surrounded by honeymooning couples or children!

So, having looked at the areas I was thinking 2 or 3 nights in Ubud followed by 4 or 5 nights in either Seminyak or Nusa Dua. I like the fact that Nusa Dua sounds more peaceful than Seminyak, but think it could also be very sterile - I want to feel like I'm in Bali! Also the nice resorts there are all massive and have kids clubs and one even has a water slide! So I'm leaning more towards Seminyak. I would love to stay at the Legian or Anantara but can't afford them. For my budget I could have a garden room at the Oberoi or a garden room at the W, or for a bit of a splurge a sea view at the W ...

They both look lovely, the Oberoi seems as though there may be more space to lose yourself during the day which would be nice, but the W looks awesome (and maybe less chance of kids?) Maybe the W would be a bit too couply and feel a bit odd without my husband? Also location, I want to feel safe walking to restaurants at night - is the W a bit further out? Are they both on good parts of beaches? Are either of them near noisy bars or clubs?

Any advice would be really helpful.

Many thanks,
Steph

Kathie Sep 3rd, 2011 04:43 PM

If you want to feel like you are in Bali, avoid Nusa Dua!

Sorry, I can't compare the Oberoi and the W.

I've often stayed at the Hyatt at Sanur in the Regency Club. It was one of the first international hotels built on Bali, and it sits amid an award-winning garden. They have a lovely spa. A Regency Club room will be much less than your top budget - you'll have plenty of money left over for spa treatments! It's not as glitzy as the newer resorts, but it feels very Balinese. And Sanur is a charming town - you can walk to shopping and restaurants.

marmot Sep 3rd, 2011 06:09 PM

I’ve never stayed at either the Oberoi or the W, but I’ve visited both.

First, let me answer your general questions. Seminyak is a long (several miles), sandy, big wave beach. It gets a lot of use, but it’s big enough not to feel crowded. The area is full of restaurants – some of the best in Bali – shops, spas and clubs. It’s lively and upscale. I think you’d like it. I don’t think you’d have an issue with kids or honeymooners at any place in Seminyak. Of course there are plenty of both, but also a lot of independent travelers who like the beach resort ambience. The area is quite safe assuming basic common sense.

The Oberoi is one of the older properties in Seminyak. It’s well located in the middle of things with lovely, spacious grounds. The beach is generally good, but there’s a suspicious drainage stream at the edge of the resort. The accommodations are oldstyle villas – charming, but, in my opinion, in need of an upgrade. Everything seems a little tired. The plus side is that the location couldn’t be better.

The W is brand new. To me, it’s a kind cross between Las Vegas and Thailand – not a trace of Bali. Everything is oversized and hyped. It’s on the northern edge of the beach, next to a popular beach restaurant, Potato Head. Otherwise access to the resort is down a long road which necessitates a longish taxi ride every time you want to go somewhere. The beach itself is fine, quite undeveloped.

My recommendation would be to try again at the Legian. In October, you should be able to get a studio suite in your budget. Alternately I’d suggest the Royal Beach Seminyak – formerly the Sofitel. It’s right next to Anatara. Has a lively, European clientele and nice grounds and pool.

qwovadis Sep 4th, 2011 10:56 AM

www.komeneka.com Monkey Forest featured in Eat Pray Love movie

oustanding also many boutique Bali style beach villas at Sanur

your selections too commercial and touristic...

www.booking.com www.otel.com www.asiarooms.com honest reviews

qwovadis Sep 4th, 2011 11:02 AM

Hyatt Bali is almost an historical landmark in Sanur have stayed there off and on for years join Gold Passport for good deals, along with two other properties, Tandjung Sari hotel and Villa Batu Jimbar, which celebrities often visited.Mick Jagger and his former wife Jerry Hall stayed at Tandjung Sari and were wedded there in a traditional Hindu Balinese ceremony in 1990.Sanur was the “in” place. Walter Spies, Sophia Loren and even some royalty came to stay in Sanur, where they were able to keep a low profile and immerse themselves in paradise. Sanur is also well known for its history in magic. In the ’70s, wars were ongoing between the shamans of Sanur and of Kamasan village in KlungKung regency.Most of this has tapered down but still themost exotic and mystical of the beach locations for me my fav.

qwovadis Sep 4th, 2011 11:03 AM

Sale ends soon! ... Set in the quiet village of Sanur, the Bali Hyatt offers plenty of chances to relax by the ...
http://www.agoda.com/asia/indonesia/...att_hotel.html

violetm Sep 4th, 2011 04:02 PM

Wow, thank you all for your replies. Kathie, Nusa Dua is off the menu. I hadn't really considered Sanur as I had heard it was families and pensioners ...? However, I've had a look at the Hyatt and it does look nice, and is very reasonable. qwovadis, I don't really want a villa, I don't mind being alone but would prefer to feel there are people around, if that makes sense. However, i've looked at Tandjung Sari This is only a 3 star which surprises me and is why I hadn't looked at it before, but it actually looks quite lovely ... Marmot thanks for all your info, the cheapest I can get Legian Studio Suite is $423 (Aus) so it's way over my budget :( I did look at Royal Beach Seminyak, it's the right price range, location and looks nice, but the reviews on tripadvisor weren't as consistently good as the Oberoi, general opinion was rooms were old and tired ... Do u think it's a better choice than the Oberoi? I think I'll give the W a miss, not keen on the long road to walk in the evenings alone, I'd prefer somewhere that feels more Balinese, so long as it's still pampering with a touch of luxury!

I guess the first thing I need to decide is Sanur or Seminyak? I think I'd like Seminyak, but would I prefer the quieter pace of Sanur, or is it oldies and kids?

marmot Sep 4th, 2011 05:11 PM

Another place you might consider is The Seminyak. This is an older property that recently had a complete refurbishment. I haven't walked through, but from the outside it looks promising. Sea views, good beach, excellent location.

Between the Oberoi and The Royal Beach Seminyak: The Oberoi is up a notch in luxury, but the overall room design is somewhat dated. My guess is that the crowd at the Royal Beach is younger and livelier. The location is very close. Both have lovely garden settings.

The downside of the Royal Beach is that the Anatara was built way too close. The downside of the Oberoi is that troublesome drainage stream mentioned above.

Between Sanur and Seminyak: Sanur has a lot of charm. I'd say that the Sanur crowd is somewhat older, somewhat more skewed to families than Seminayak, but in either place you get a mix. Sanur has a good swimming beach + sunrise. Seminyak is more big waves + sunset.

The major Seminyak resorts -- the Hyatt, Tanjung Sari -- are in the same era and ambience as the Oberoi: beautiful mature gardens; older, somewhat darker rooms.

I prefer Seminyak because I like the choice of restaurants. There are plenty of places to eat in Sanur but the newer and more sophisticated restaurants tend to be in Seminyak.

I'm not a late night person but if you're looking for clubs, bars, social venues, then Seminyak is the place. Sanur closes down early.

Shopping in Seminyak -- which continues into Kuta -- is also very good, especially for fashion and home accessories.

Wherever you are, if you chose a resort with spacious grounds then once you're there you get peace and quiet (except the W which I understand has a very loud disco!). You can interact or withdraw as you please.

marmot Sep 4th, 2011 05:13 PM

Correction: The major SANUR resorts -- the Hyatt, Tanjung Sari -- are in the same era and ambience as the Oberoi: beautiful mature gardens; older, somewhat darker rooms.

violetm Sep 6th, 2011 04:35 AM

Thanks marmot for taking the time to give me all this info, that helps so much - I think I'll go with Seminyak :)