Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > NY times reviews a few HK "hidden kitchens"
Notices

NY times reviews a few HK "hidden kitchens"

May 22nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

NY times reviews a few HK "hidden kitchens"

I suspect the prices in the last review are incorrect; If they are not, Ta Pantry is one pricey hidden kitchen with weekend dinners about $700 pp in equivalent US dollars. The others seem quite reasonable, especially for Hong Kong.

Anyone tried these yet?

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/05/22...tml?ref=travel
May 23rd, 2011, 12:36 PM

Oh no, Ta Pantry has made the NY Times, now I’ll never be able to get a table there again! Both Ta Pantry and Yin Yang have been on my list for some time. The chef at Yin Yang has had well-known restaurants for many years in Hong Kong, so she us hardly “hidden”. But it is excellent, as is Ta Pantry. Ta Pantry is very small, not more than 8 people can have dinner there, so book early. They have a nice little outdoor terrace for drinks. The sister and brother team do a nice combo of food and wine. Yin Yang is larger, on several floors and so perhaps more scope for tables. Very unusual mix of Chinese and Western dishes, but quite good.

IMO the very best of the private kitchens is Gong Guan (www.gong-guan.com ), but you need an 8-person minimum. There are also no English menus and the chef speaks almost no English, but just take whatever they are making and you will be happy. This place turns out amazing food in a kitchen literally the size of a closet. It makes you wonder about the people with the 8-burner stoves who can’t seem to boil water….
May 24th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Cicerone: What's the local take on Tim's Kitchen these days? The place seemed to have morphed into "real restaurant" status by the time I ate there last spring, before they moved.

I assume that the NYTimes prices for Ta Pantry were an error since it does not seem to be overly pricey according to other reviews I've read. $700US per dinner seems a tad high, even for Hong Kong!
May 24th, 2011, 04:42 AM

Madam I've eaten dried abalone at Forum restaurant in Hong Kong for US $1,000 per piece so $700 is not expensive for Hong Kong.

Search this Thread