NY Times article-36 Hours in Bangkok

Jun 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

NY Times article-36 Hours in Bangkok

There is an article in this Sunday's NY Times travel section; 36 Hours in Bangkok.
http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/06/29...tml?ref=travel

I point it out not because the article is particularly useful, insightful, or even provides any new information, but precisely because it does not.
There is nothing in here which isn't already in half a dozen guidebooks. Articles like this make me wonder if the writer has even been there or just spent half an hour perusing a few guidebooks at his local Barnes and Noble.
I swear, if I see another recommendation for Cabbages and Condoms I am going to scream! Wow, a visit to the Grand Palace and then Wat Po, now that's different!

I know, I know, not everyone has been before. But how many articles like this have already been written? Why not at least make an effort to include something new and unusual?
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Kristina, I know just what you mean. I have become totally disillusioned with the NYT's 36 hours in... series. Nothing unusual, no suggestions that get someone closer to the people or give them a different perspective.

Jun 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM

While the content of the article is a bit ordinary, there is also a link to a BKK slideshow. They have some great pictures there. Its astonishing what a professional photographer can do, as compared to my poor photo capabilities . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/200...URS_index.html
Jun 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM

The photos are nice, but didn't strike me as exceptional. Or perhaps I'm just miffed by the quality of the article. The writer apparently thinks the Singapore Sling was invented in Bangkok, refers to Wat Arun as a "downsized Angor Wat" and thinks the food at Cabbages and Codoms is well-prepared. Need I say more? It also perpetuates the idea that taxi travel in Bangkok is mission impossible. I'm always surprised by the new posters who are under the impression that one must not under any circumstances take a taxi in Bangkok, but here is the NYT saying that in print.
Jun 28th, 2008, 01:07 PM

The activities listed are actually a good first visit, but do not delve into the magic of BKK. Pretty pedestrian. Also, in the picture link, the Reclining Buddha is listed as 50 ffet high. Am I missing something, my perception was that it nowhere near this high. Am I mistaken?
Jun 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM

The Reclining Buddha is i5 metres high which is just about 50 feet

And whats the matter with Cabbages and Condoms restaurant. I think it is quite good and very resonable. But that is just me since I never have the need for expensive eating places.
Jun 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

I agree the photos are not exceptional; most of them are of hotel and restaurant interiors.

Kathie, I agree with you that it's perpetuating the myths around Bangkok; that's why it irritates me so much.

"What's the matter with Cabbages and Condoms?"
For me it's not about for "expensive" places, it's about the lack of recommendations for authentic local places. Instead, they list "safe", westernized places, which serve versions of Thai food similar to what we get here in the US.
Jun 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM

In my view, C&C serves bland, dumbed-down food. There are lots of inexpensive places that serve more authentic food.
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Quite true but maybe the average tourist is not a
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Quite true but maybe the average tourist is not that interested in aauthentic Thai food and quite happy with the watered down version. I know many that don't even like anything hot or spicy but still love visiting Bangkok. So to eaxch his own
Jun 28th, 2008, 08:30 PM

True, Scotters. We've certainly seen first-time visitors who loved C&C. I'm just disappointed that the NYT would give it's only mention of a restaurant to a place like C&C which is entirely oriented to tourists.
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM

anything the nyt does is second rate and slanted....everyone knows that....well unless you live in cambridge where it is considered the second coming of C....
Jun 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM

not a bad first timers guide, but very limited...
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:54 AM

perhaps the NYT 36hrs is written to encourage the regular joe or josephine to go to those places. perhaps we should write the NYT to advise if they want to reach a well-traveled bunch (perhaps like Kristina) they should do a better job of in-depth reporting, and becoming more specific in their report of a location.

you have a good point Kristina.
Jun 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM

That NYT photographer is a freakin' amateur. Nothing even remotely special about those photos.
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

I understand that those "36 Hours" articles are geared toward a specific type of traveler, I just think they could have put forth a little more effort.

Yes, of course, tell people about the Grand Palace and Wat Po, but how about warning them against the legions of tuk tuk drivers and touts who will tell you it's closed for a "holiday"?
Instead of Patpong, why not mention the Night Market or weekend market?
Why recommend the same old hotels?And the food...well we've already discussed that.

Again, there is nothing in this article that isn't in a basic guidebook. Even if I'd never been before, I'd been looking for something different.

Let me write the article for "36 Hours in Paris", ok?
Make sure you go to the Louvre and the D'Orsay museums, Notre Dame and see the Eiffel Tower.
Walk the Champs-Elysees.
Stay at the Georges V or the Marriot (ask for an Eiffel Tower room!).
Eat at Taillevent, La Tour d'Argent and sit in a sidewalk cafe.
36 Hours. Done.
Jun 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM

And you would have the idea that you've seen and done everything and never need to go back!
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Perhaps someone should E-mail this thread to the travel editors at the NYT.
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Gpanda-
I don't usually write "letters to the editor" but I did look for a link off that article. I didn't see anywhere to comment. I suppose if I had searched the website I would have found something, but I admit to not trying very hard. ;-)