Search

Nusa lembongan Vs. Gili Air

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nusa lembongan Vs. Gili Air

Hello,

I'm going on a 7 day trip to Bali in August. Spending 3/4 nights in Ubud and thinking of going to either Nusa lembongan or Gili Air for 2 nights. Though for Nusa Lembongan I will take the fast ferry, I am definitely going to fly to Gili Air given the limited time. However, I am having a TOUGH time deciding what i should do and would be VERY grateful for the help.

Given the limited time, I was leaning toward Nusa Lembongan for a day snorkeling trip with an overnight stay and then returning back next afternoon to Sanur. However, I am wondering if the snorkeling and beaches are better in Gili Air and if it's worth it to fly there and stay two nights (first day chill on beach, next day do snorkeling trip). It's a big decision because if we do Gili Air then I will have to reduce one full day in Ubud and/or Nusa Dua.

I am looking for chilled out, beautiful, not very crowded beaches with bars and some walkable/scooter-ride-away restaurants. Decent snorkeling ( have snorkeled all over the world, but would like to try the areas). If you think I can get this from Nusa Lembongan and it would be enough to spend a day snorkeling, chilling in the evening on the beach, spending half day there next day and returning to Sanur after then maybe that's better in the interest of time. However, if I will not get the ideal beach/snorkeling here then maybe I should take the extra time and go to Gili Air.

Lastly, I know this is not the exact forum for it, but would it be recommended that I do in fact reduce a full day in Ubud and spend 2 days in Nusa Lembongan (will have to do that for Gili Air, but maybe I can get away with a day at Nusa Lembongan?)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 06:20 PM

So how many nights do you have on Bali? You say you have 7 days, but your numbers seem to indicate that you only have 6 nights, which is only 5 full days. With that amount of time, I'd spend it all on Bali. I would avoid hotels at Nusa Dua, which is a sterile tourist enclave.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! I have 7 nights (6 full days from 15 to 20 august. We arrive 14th afternoon and leave 21st afternoon). I understand your view on Nusa Dua, but for the last day and a half, I don't mind a bit of artificial luxury of a resort and do nothing but chill by the pool or the beach outside. I am leaning towards 4 nights (3 full days) in Ubud, One day/overnight trip at Nusa Lombongan (since it's closer than Gili) and then a day and half before the day we leave at Nusa Dua (or Sanur). I really want to do Gili Air, but don't know if I can fit it in. Thus, the post
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 07:21 PM

I much prefer Sanur to Nusa Dua. I'll let others weigh n on the off-island trip.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 04:46 PM

I haven’t been to the Gilis for years and never to Nusa Lembongan so I can’t compare, but I will comment on the logistics.

First August 17 is Indonesian Independence Day and both both islands and all local transport will be thronged with domestic travelers enjoying the long weekend.

If you could fly into or out of Lombok instead of stopping in Bali in the middle you may cut down on overall travel time. If you’re already in Bali, getting to Gili Air by air will take up most of the day as it’s some distance from Lombok airport. Getting from Ubud or Benoa by ferry to Gili Air would take in total about 4 to 5 hours depending on your starting point and the ferry route and speed.

You might slso also look at the Amed area of northeast Bali: About 3 hours drive from the airport, laid back quiet community, good snorkeling, scenic environment.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 05:19 AM

For cozy places and wonderful atmosphere - Ubud.
Best beaches - Nusa Dua.
And even if you have 2 days, go to Gili, choose Gili Meno, and you will have big chances to see turtles while snorkeling!
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 06:07 AM

I would defer to marmot but another option might be going to Labuan Bajo and booking a snorkel/overnight from there... maybe Komodo NP? check flight times and availability.