November Japan trip report--part 4, Kyoto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WARNING: this paragraph is filled with hotel details. We had had misgivings about the Westin Miyako Hotel where JTB had booked us before we arrived based on Kim Japan's caution and TripAdvisor's trip review, but decided to try it first because a discerning friend had had two positive experiences there and we couldn't find anything we wanted through Expedia, then because even JTB couldn't find us eight consecutive nights there. Our worst fears were not realized--we did have a renovated room, but it was also the only place we stayed in Japan which was a major disappointment for us. We were staying in a high season priced $300 a night room, which was comfortable, but entirely lacking in feng shui (?) and where the service was only OK. Kind of like a nice three star American hotel. The bathroom did come with toto and a nice showerhead (advertised by Westin as "heavenly&quot, but 5 out of 6 restaurants were expensive in the $125-150 per person range. The minibar had no food in it. How we managed things was getting room service with one chicken dinner and one salad and splitting them (the chicken was actually very good), getting the continental breakfast which included cereal for 1500 yen, and several meals of very good udon and soba in the Acqua Cafe for 1800 yen. The one time we ventured out to their Japanese restaurant we spent a lot of money on only OK food.
The good things about the Westin were the bed, the sheets, the aforementioned food items, a free shuttle to the Kyoto Station which was very helpful not just for daytrips out of town, but also for reducing taxi costs to other parts of Kyoto. If I could do it over again, I would have taken Kim Japan's recommendation of the Hyatt for 350 yen including breakfast and cut one night off our total Japan trip. That said, if we had been paying $200 a night with or without breakfast instead of $300 no breakfast, I would have felt differently about it. Also, if you are only spending 1 or 2 nights in Kyoto, the Westin has a very good location and my above listed complaints (which did not include the yellow speckled walls and curtains) would not have mattered to us.

Kyoto itself we found magnificent and difficult. It was not the old/new contrast that challenged us, but the tranquil/stressful one. We had gotten reservations in advance at the moss temple (Saihoji), which were well worth both the money and the trouble: soft green moss in all different shades, the yellow and red of maples, stunningly beautiful bamboo trees and a ery kind lady who spent 10 minutes taking our pictures.
We also went to the Imperial Household Agency the first day we were in Kyoto and got admission to the Katsura Imperial Villa which we found spectacular. Both efforts were more than worthwhile.

I tend to have trouble appreciating beauty with many other people around and felt very grateful to the courtesy of Japanese fellow tourists who were often so quiet that we felt if not alone, well able to connect with these wonderfully peaceful gardens. I also learned that if you stay at the back of a group (the Katsura was on a mandatory guided tour) you can have moments alone with each sight. The expensive Moss Temple (3000 yen per person)which also requires participation in a religious service then allows you to roam free as long as you want with a limited number of other people in the garden.

We also very much liked the morning we spent walking from Gikokuji (Silver Pavillion) down the Philospher's Path through the Eikando Temple. We started many of our mornings in Kyoto early, leaving the hotel by 8:15--this helped immeasurably with the problem of it being high season for Japanese tourists. Autumn colors were particularly breathtaking at the Eikando Temple's garden.

WE saw a number of other things, the Golden Pavillion (stunning), the Ryoanji rock garden temple, the Nijo Castle (really cool) and the Sanjusangendo Hall. Although we did not see many of the sights, we are glad that we saw what we did and that we had so many days to be in Kyoto without rushing. I thik or other favorite thing was the Kawai Kanjiro Memorial House, where we spent a magical 1 1/2 hours going from one beautiful room to another, with many of the ceramist's works on display.

I guess this finally ends my trip report. Domo arigato gozaimasu to all of you. We hope to return.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM

thanks..
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the report. I think I was one of the choir who warned against the Westin Miyako. Too many bad reports but understand your circumstances.

Let us know when and where you decide to return. We love to plan a trip

Aloha!
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM

I've enjoyed all the parts of your report. Thanks for posting!

We are visiting Tokyo and Kyoto at end of March / beginning of April. It will be mostly repeat for me (nothing wrong with repeating in Japan!) but all new for mr_go and our 16 y/o daughter. Japan is at the top of her travel wish list and she has a lot of ideas for must-dos. I'm trying to get her to do the fine tuning of our plans (I get the boring part, the logistics) and will have her read your reports.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the report. We are going to Tokyo and Kyoto in April on our way home from South Korea. We have been to Tokyo before but never Kyoto so your report is very helpful!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:22 PM

excellent trip reports! bookmarking these
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:39 PM

We are planning on 5 days in Kyoto...and Starwood-points influenced. We can stay "free"....We are booked at the Westin, but a bit worried. I don't think there are other Starwood options there...right?
Yikes, with the cost of food, we'd better bring a lot of breakfast bars with us!
j and d
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

For "free", I'd do it in a moment; it was the value for $300 a night that we objected to. Use your points influence to get a renovated room, the breakfast at 1500 yen for cofffee or tea, juice, cereal and pastries such as croissants is not a bad deal and you can walk to the Philosopher's Stroll. Although this is a Fodor's place, we found Frommer's particularly helpful. We found the Italian restaurant at Kyoto station excellent value, also lovely scarves at the department store at Kyoto Station (in kimono section --onlly $25.00.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM

THANK YOU,CMSTRAF....and we apologize for the delay in responding...we are frantically trying to finalize this trip (end of May will be here before we know it)....Going to review the earlier parts of your trip report, and then maybe ask a few questions.
J and D
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

We'd be glad to help with any questions that we can.