Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Nov trip to Vietnam - need hotel recs in Saigon, Hue and Hoi An

Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

We will be traveling for two wks to Vietnam in November. Looking for relatively inexpensive ($50 - $75) per night hotel rooms in these cities. Do not care about room internet but would like to be able to check email. Any recommendations as to where we should stay and which website we should use for making recommendations? Thanks

Pam
Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:56 PM

I'm doing a bit of research myself now and found this place that seems to suit us in Hoi An - Ancient House Resort. www.ancienthouseresort.com
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I like the Majestic Hotel in Saigon. website:www.majesticsaigon.com.vn
There are internet places right down the street Dong Khoi where the hotel is located. Hue we stayed at the Century-not sure of internet site.
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM

I visited Vietnam earlier this year. Saigon - stayed at the Rex, Hoi An - Ancient House, Hue - Huong Giang. All were nice, noy luxurious. All had internet access in the lobby area.
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:04 AM

We are off to VN in Dec and have booked into a brand new hotel in Hue La Residence as it is new they seem to be have some good deals www.la-residence-hue.com (Had booked the Morin but changed because of bad reports). In Hoi and we have gone for a very small hotel in the old town Vinh Hung Merchants House
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:24 AM

Just happened to think I stayed in the Ving Hung when I was in Hoi An about 3 years ago. It is a small Vietnamese hotel that met our needs. A funny thing happened I had some wet clothes I hung over the bannister outside the door. Soon someone asked me to remove them which I quickly did. If I were going again I would probably stay nearer the river, but you are in walking distance of anywhere you might want to go.
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Pam, I am also going in November and have been researching hotels.

I have found this travel agency website has far and away the best hotel prices.

http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/

I have thus far booked two nights in Ho Chi Minh City with them and will be booking more.

I have read on a couple of travel message boards that they are a reliable agency and others have been happy with them.
Oct 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Does anyone have any more details on the Vinh Hung 1/Merchant's House? We're thinking of staying there in December and would love to know about decor, location, cleanliness, etc. . .
Oct 31st, 2005, 04:48 AM

crellson - what type of deal did you get for la residence hue in december? my husband and i are thinking of booking there as well for that time . . . thanks!
Oct 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM

I'll second the Majestic Hotel. We stayed there in Jan 04. It is a BEAUTIFUL hotel, had just been renovated. Plus it is just across the street from the river where there are parks and we were able to get these great fast boats to other cities on the river network in the delta. Went to Vung Tau, etc. had a great time. Our cost then was US $87./night Russ
Oct 31st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Finally made reservations. We are staying at Majestic in Saigon for five nights - cost of $77 per night, then three nights at Saigon Morin at $81 per night (I was nervous about the Huong Giang and Century Riverside after reading so many negative reviews) We will stay at a guesthouse recommended by my son's girlfriend in Hoi An - Phuoc An and then back to Saigon for two nights at the Grand Hotel - $69 - those rates are inclusive of taxes, fees and breakfast.

We visited Vietnam three years ago but stayed most of the time in Hanoi with two nights in Saigon at Bong Sen which was just OK and two nights in both Sapa and HoiAn at places that were 2* at best. We loved HoiAn and Sapa but would have enjoyed even more if we would have had a nicer lodging. So I decided to bite the bullet and pay slightly more for rooms than what I had originally intended. I remember at times being somewhat frazzled at the end of the day after negotiating traffic, language barriers, and street vendors and realize how much more rested we will be if we are in a comfortable cool clean room. Thanks to all for their input

Pam
Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:47 PM

We stayed at the Ving Hung1 hotel in a suite. It's the room where they filmed the "Quiet American" with Brandon Frazier and Michael Caine. It has a balcony too. Room is dark because of the wood in the room. It's decorated in antique chinese furniture. The bed had a canopy. I like antiques, so was pleased we were able to book the room. It has a refrigerator and T.V. The "Michael Caine room" is above the reception area so you can hear people noise. It has a "steep" staircase to get to the room. But the hotel bellman will carry your luggage to the room. The suite across the hall may be quieter but I wanted to stay in the Michael Caine room. The hotel has a restaurant next door and has a very small buffet breakfast that's included in the room rate. It's a great way to start the day, have breakfast and watch the local people walk/bike by. It's located in the old quarter so there are no cars driving by. There is no pool at the VingHung1.

I prefer to stay in the old quarter area in Hoi An rather than away from the center of town.

Book early.
December is a very popular month in Vietnam.