Northwest Airlines to Japan - comments?

Sep 8th, 1999, 12:29 PM
jgendel

Northwest Airlines to Japan - comments?

I am flying Northwest Airlines to Japan. Any comments on their service? I may be fortunate enough to get an upgrade to first class - any experiences would be helpful.
Thanks

Sep 8th, 1999, 01:48 PM
Michael

Good Luck!!! Previous posters in this forum over the past year have been scathing in their feedback on NW to Japan.

Sep 9th, 1999, 10:00 AM
Terry Crawford

I recently flew United to Bangkok one way and Japan airlines back. Any american airline company will be cramped in economy class but business or first class may be okay. The major concern should be to have enough space to sleep and domestic airplanes have NONE in economy class!!

I'd advice that you buy a sleeping mask and earplugs for the best rest plus an inflatable pillow.

Get an aisle seat so that you can stretch your legs and walk around a bit without disturbing anyone.

Don't eat every meal and snack offered. You'll be bloated and may get indigestion.

Drink lots of water, even if you have to bring your own.

A flight from L.A. to Tokyo is ten hours-be prepared!!!

Sep 23rd, 1999, 02:39 PM
Jay

I have nothing good to say about Northwest non-stop from Detroit to Tokyo! I have flown to Japan and back 6 times in the last three years and have flown on Northwest twice. I wrote my first bad experience off on the staff just having a bad day. We are all a little unfriendly at one time or another so I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.
However, my second flight on Northwest, was even worse!!
I believe it was flight 86 from Tokyo to Detroit on July 31, 1999.
My stewardess rolled her eyes at passengers, spoke and looked rudely at you if you didn't take your orange juice quickly enough, and raised her voice and rolled her eyes if you were unable to understand her right away because your native language wasn't English. And to top it all off, she argued publicly with the other staff!!! Unbelievable!!!!!! Unfortunately, Detroit is Northwest's hub so I am forced to use it for convenient transportation.
I am native English speaker and am tired and embarrased by Northwest's attitude towards non native English speakers. Even in the airport terminals I have witnessed such behavior. You would think that if an airline is going to operate a flight between the USA and a foreign country, they would be sympathetic and considerate for the passengers from the country to where they are flying.
All of my other flights to Japan have been on Japan Airlines and I assure you that this kind of behavior towards a foreigner would be unfathomable!!! They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable in a long and uncomfortable trip!!!
I have heard many good things from friends, relatives, and coworkers about most of the Asian airlines.
Please, if you have the choice, consider another airline!

Sep 23rd, 1999, 07:57 PM
Brad

Wow! Some real scathing comments about NWA. I fly to Bangkok at least once a month and usually on NWA. Although I totally agree that the Asian airlines are much better (Singapore, Thai Airways, JAL, etc) I can NOT say that NWA is a "bad" airline. Maybe because I have gotten to know a few flight attendants especially on flights to and from Narita to Bangkok or back to Hawaii (usually flights 1, 9 and 16).

Yes, if you have enough miles then upgrade to business so you can sleep, it will make the flight go much faster and use the good advice given above and drink lots of water because it will help with your jet lag which is much worse traveling from west to east. I have some unpleasant times on NWA but I can say that with many many other airlines as well. Al in all I donít really mind one airline from another and that is because I travel so very much. Good luck with your flight.

BRAD

Oct 1st, 1999, 04:57 AM
mm

I've been flying Northwest for the past 14 years and have always flown through Japan. In all that time I have not have a bad experience with flight crew. Maybe, I've just been lucky. I do admit that the space has gotten cramped through the years. If you're flying during a low/off season you will have a better chance of getting more room to stretch out as there will be less seats booked. Try to get a seat in the back and in the middle rows, preferably aisle. Avoid at all time flying in December. The planes are always fully booked (and I mean fully booked) at that time. Good luck.

Oct 1st, 1999, 04:59 AM
mm

Just a follow-up to my previous note. The advice I gave was for flying coach. I've been in first class and found the service good.

Oct 5th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Francis

Whilst it is unfair to make a single comment across the board, in general Asian airlines offer better services. For long haul flight you usually will find better food, more delicate service as well as better care for details.

Nov 1st, 1999, 10:13 AM
kurt

I TRAVELLED WITH NORTHWEST FROM SEOUL TO SAN FRANZISCO IN 1992 AND IT WAS MY WORST FLIGHT IN MY LIFE. TRY AN ASIAN AIRLINE, THEY ARE MUCH BETTER AND THE CREW ARE ALWAYS VERY FRIENDLY. AI WILL NEVER FLY NORTHWEST AGAIN.