Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Northwest Airlines Business Class to China (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/northwest-airlines-business-class-to-china-440279/)

TMP Jun 8th, 2004 07:42 AM

Northwest Airlines Business Class to China

We are planning a trip to China in the Spring of 2005. We plan on using a tour operator since this will be our first international trip. We like the 18 day "Asian Escapade" trip from Pacific Delight Tours. The flights from LAX are on Northwest Airlines. We would upgrade to business class. Has anyone else done this trip? I am concerned about the quality of service from Northwest, based on what I've read elsewhere. My travel agent has had no complaints from previous bookings on this tour. The upgrade will cost us over $4,000. I'd hate to spend that money & not be satisfied. Any opinions/personal experiences would be appreciated.

rkkwan Jun 8th, 2004 09:43 AM

NWA uses ancient 747-200 on LAX-NRT, and then 747-400 NRT-PVG (Shanghai) and also-ancient DC-10 NRT-PEK (Beijing).

If you look at seatguru.com, you'll notice that there are various seats in World Business Class. Make sure you get either the most forward cabin or upstairs on the 747 trips.

Whether that's worth $4,000, I cannot decide for you, but regardless of service, it'll be a major upgrade from NW's coach seats.

felicia Jun 9th, 2004 06:21 AM

I took a Pacific Delight Tour last October and flew Northwest. I had no problems whatsoever. The flights were on time and the service was better than average. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Felicia

rkkwan Jun 9th, 2004 07:15 AM

Just want to add that $4,000 for two to upgrade from coach to World Business is a good deal. NW's WB fare is about $4,000 per person, while a discount economy is about $1,000. So, you're getting a deal if you can pay just $2,000 each for an upgrade. WB class also earns 50% more FF miles AND elite-qualifying miles. With a roundtrip LAX to China, you will earn close to 20K miles of each in WB.

Subway_Scoundrel Jun 15th, 2004 10:23 AM

I took 3 trips to China/Asia last year on Northwest and the question of Is it worth it? It all depends. I would not fly to Asia without Business class. I like Northwest and I like the 747, especially when you get upstairs. I guess I look at all BC seats as the same, no matter how you fly, except on Singapre, Cathay Pacific, Thai, Maly or Vietnam Airlines. We fly it all here at work and people's choice depends on cost and where people have points. I like Northwest. Is it worth it? Is it worth spending 22 hours in economy !!!!!

kardon Jun 15th, 2004 05:46 PM

I've flown BC on NWA to China. I had seats in the most forward section. It's good. I like NWA BC better than that of United. I'm in agreement with everyone else--whether or not it's worth $4,000 is your call. I usually do milage upgrade.

BillT Jun 16th, 2004 09:09 AM

$4000 can buy you quite a lot in Asia- I would never spring for that much money for what amounts to less than a day of extra legroom and a few amenities. I know- a lot of people do.
Think about it ok you suffer in coach but then you have $4,000 to spend - imagine what you could do with that!

TC Jun 17th, 2004 05:16 AM

Have flown NW Business Class to China. Would not consider making the trip in coach, but then we upgrade using miles - not money. I like to sit upstairs. It is much quieter in my opinion.

NW is good, but the best long haul was Qantas to Australia.

robbiegirl Jun 18th, 2004 05:31 PM

NWA has new planes, check with them before you do book. They use airbus 333 now on long flights.

rkkwan Jun 18th, 2004 06:00 PM

Their new Airbus 330-300 are all being used on Atlantic routes right now, mainly to AMS. Trans-pacific is still 747-400, 747-200, and DC10-30. 757 are also used on some intra-Asia and Saipan routes.

rkkwan Jun 18th, 2004 06:04 PM

Also, the twin-engined A330 has limited range. So, you'll see them eventually replacing the DC10s and 747-200s from the West Coast and Hawaii to Japan, but not the 747-400 for flights from MSP/DTW/JFK to NRT. NW has not ordered any long-range planes like the Airbus 340 or Boeing 777 that can fly those routes, or any direct flights to say China or Hong Kong from the continental US.