Notices

North Pacific Crossing

Apr 8th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

North Pacific Crossing

Next week we are going on the Holland America North Pacific Crossing cruise which tours 5 cities in northern Japan and then heads to Alaska. It occurred to us that it may get pretty rough since we are going through the Aleutian Islands/Bering sea.

Are we needlessly worrying...?
Apr 8th, 2016, 07:59 PM

I post on the Cruise forum . . and check on Cruise Critic.
Apr 8th, 2016, 09:00 PM

I took this cruise in 2012 (on Zaandam) when it went via southern Japan, Pusan, and Vladivostok. We got into pack ice in the sea of Okhotsk, which was really interesting and scenic. The crew acted like they were taken by surprise but I had been to Shiretoko the previous summer and learned that the main business in Abishiri outside of summer (when they go fishing) is taking people out to see the pack ice, so I rather doubt their story.

Anyway, we backed out of our intended itinerary, skipped the stop at Petropavlosk (which was the main goal of the trip for several passengers) and went back around Hokkaido and ran at full speed for 7 days by a southern route to Kodiak. The sea was like a mill-pond the whole way. Fortunately, there was good lecturer on board (a member of the National Academy, no less) or it would have been pretty boring.

I've been all over northern Japan (on land) and know the ports where Volendam is stopping. They are interesting and attractive but you really need to do your research to make sure you see the things that matter to you. My experiens on Zaandam was that early May is likely to be too early for Alaska so I wouldn't expect much there.

Search this Thread