Non Tower Exec.Suite at Royal Orchid Sheraton

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd appreciate any comments from fodorites on the Exec.& Jnr.Suites in the old building. All marketing appears to be aimed at Towers rooms & suites which look lovely. I can't find any info on the Non-Towers Suites. Key points for us are large,clean rooms,good pool & separate walk-in shower. Stayed previously in a Tower Room before current refurbishment, but as we'll be with 2 children, we won't be able to use the Lounge, making Towers Rooms less appealing. Our last 2 stays were in Suites at the Shangrila(now too expensive) and the Millennium Hilton(great suites but pool too small & cold for the kids). Many thanks.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Al of the rooms and suites at the Sheraton Royal Orchid are in the same building. The Towers rooms and suites are on the top few floors.

I've stayed in a Jr. Suite in the Towers, and I'd say it is too small for a family with two children. Years ago, I stayed in an Executive suite in the regular part of the hotel, and it was the same size as the Exec suite in the Towers. That is, it had a living rooms and bedroom (both of approx. the same size) and it had 1.5 baths.

They change their nomenclature for the various suites from time to time, so do ask just how large each of the suites are. Call the Starwood number and ask. Unfortunately, they rarely have the info I need when I'm calling about Towers suites. perhaps you'll have better luck.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I know you asked about suites, but just for your info, the regular rooms do have 2 double beds so 2 adults and 2 kids can fit without needing a roll-away.

You may want to consider the Marriott Riverside. They have 1 of the best pools in Bangkok and Jr. Suites(would need a roll-away bed), and 1 bed corner suites- very nice with bedroom, living room, and dining room, and wrap around balcony. I think the price on the Marriott website is about 10,000 baht.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Some years ago I stayed in a Suite in the main part of the hotel (not Towers) - it was confusing whether it was a jnr or exec but sounds similar to Kathie's description. Had a bedroom with one king bed, Bath with separate shower and bath, small lounge room - smaller than the bedroom which had a small lounge and a couple of chairs and desk plus a second toilet and washbasin off the quite long corridor than lead in from the main hall and door. There wasn't a lot of room and I'd not like to use it with 2 children - it would be a bit squeezy. I don't see where they could put up extra beds in that type of room.
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Mary, your description sounds like a Jr suite. My assessment also was that it was too small for 2 adults and 2 children.
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:21 AM

we stayed in a regular jr suite a few years ago....the view was good, the room decent sized...limited furniture in the sitting room....two baths....watched reagans funeral from there....

hate ROS!!!
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM

The junior suite is as described. Four people can stay there, IF you will not get each others nerves. It will be a bit cramped, but it's certainly doable. When we went with my son and his wife, we got two rooms.

Old May 29th, 2008, 03:07 AM

Rhkkmk,
Why do you hate it?
We are staying there for 4 nights next week.
First trip to Thailand-So Excited!!
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:34 AM

poochie, Bob hates it because he loves the Marriott. It's sort of a joke among regulars, so don't take the comment too seriously.

What are now called Executive suites were recently called Deluxe suites, and they are larger.

Poochie - are you staying in the Towers?
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Kathie,
We are booked as "King Executive Suite".
I don't know if it is "Towers" or not.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:29 AM

It will specify if it is Towers. The Towers are the top few floors of the hotel, and Towers rooms come with access to the Club for breakfasts and evening drinks and canapes and desserts, plus free laundry up to 6 pieces per person per day.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Poochie, I'm also thinking about an Executive Suite that is not a Towers room. As Kathie suspected had no joy from Starwood. They couldn't tell anything about the rooms except non-smoking are available.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Masha, this is what I can tell you about the suites. The Executive suites used to be called deluxe suites, and the living room is the same size as the bedroom. The junior suites, the living area is smaller than the bedroom. There are lovely large baths in the Exec suites, and they have a second half bath.
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM

Kathie, of course I will bow to your extensive knowledge of this establishment.........but, somewhere in my memory, I recall accommodations immediately adjacent to the main building, but still part of ROS. Looking towards the freeway,from the corridor, up high, they were to the left. I wonder if this is what is being offered. I remember people walking up and down stairs, to and fro this little two storey block. Could this be the Non-Towers suites? I think maybe.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I know of no other accommodations other than in the main (only) building. There are plenty of non-Towers suites in the building, they are mostly located at the corners or in the center of the "w" shaped building.

The lovely garden pool at the ROS is on land leased from the Portuguese Embassy. Perhaps you saw the embassy building.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I'll be there June 5th. Can't wait!!
I'll try and post while I'm there.
Kathie,
Glad to know about the extra 1/2 bath, my daughter (20 year old) and I will let "good old dad" have that one.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Have a wonderful time! You can walk to Harmonique from there - kind of a funky place owned by two sisters. It's renowned for it's slow service but good food.
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
mjs

We are a family of four and stayed at the ROS in 2006.
Had one regular Tower room with two Queen beds and a adjacent Executive suite. The Executive suite was much nicer with a lot more room, separate living room and much nicer bathroom. Great breakfast and nice cocktails and light snacks in the lounge. Laundry services were terrific. Could stay in a regular room if your children are small. Do not think Executive suites come with two beds although I am not positive about this.
Marriott does not accept four in a room even in their jr suites.
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:01 AM

ROS is perfectly fine...its location is ok but not fantastic...now that it finally has a boat directly to the skytrain it is better...

i had two problems at ROS and that sort of set me off, but as reported i love to pull kathie's and gpanda's legs....

the hotel could be any place...its not very thai....the lobby is a bit dreary, but not dark or dingy like some....

you will love being next to river city...

for anyone using starwood points, we really loved our stay at plaza anthanee a couple of weeks ago...its not on the river but is now a le meredien....also a brand new meredien opens in a few weeks on suriwongse, near to jim thompson's main store....

you will be fine with the ROS...there are just better options imo....
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:02 AM

in all that rambling i did not really answer the question, as usual....i don't know why i don't like it...same reason i do not like chiang mai....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -