No tours in India after mid-March?

Oct 22nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

No tours in India after mid-March?

Hi All,
Im looking to join a tour in India next spring, with a US departure of late March, early April. However many of the companies I have checked out do not have any tours past mid-March and do not resume until late September at the earliest. I assume this is due to the monsoon season but I thought that didnt start until June. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Northern India this time of year? As an alternative I am considering an Annapurna Trails wildlife trek which at the end of the tour includes Jaipur, Agra and Delhi. This tour operates almost all year. I really did not want to miss Rajasthan or Varanasi. Does anyone know of any tour companies that travel this region in April? I prefer to join a tour because Ill be traveling alone. Thanks!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM

I went in April 2002 and it was just fine. Hot but not oppressively.

I went with Colleague Tours, you can search contact info in this board.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Check out OAT and Vantage Deluxe Travel, they both offer tours in March and April
Oct 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM

The weather after march (and even in march) can be very hot in many parts of India. April/May are the real summer seasons (with May being hottest).

The rains start in June and last until Sept/October.
Oct 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM

India is a large country & the weather conditions vary dramatically from the sub-zero to almost 40 degrees in the desert sands of Jaisalmer. Apart from the Golden triangle consisting of Delhi, Jaipur, Agra which caters to cultural-architectural tours, it is the best time to be in some of the national parks for the spring has every tree in full bloom attracting a host of birds, herbivores & carnivoras. As it gets a bit warm in the plains, you can drive up into some wonderful estates in our hills. A holiday in the hills is equally interesting.
Happy travels!
Oct 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM

you need to be more precise about what you mean by "Northern India".

For instance, the weather would be pretty good up in Himachal Pradesh, but maybe not so good (getting hotter) in Rajasthan.

I've been to Agra in April; Delhi and Varanasi in June/early July.

May-June-July is waiting for the rain. Set in of monsoon varies, but it shouldn't put off a traveller who really wants to go.

You may be casting your net too shallow. Have you looked at:

www.intrepidtravel.com

Lots of options.

Oct 24th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Love-what you are talking about? Nearly ALL the travel companies I'm aware of ALL have trips to India in the time period in question, why on earth wouldn't they?

www.djoserusa.com

www.smartours.com

http://www.gate1travel.com/india-travel2/

Oct 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM

May-June are the hottest months of the year, it is not uncommon to hit 115F in Delhi & Agra. Then comes the monsoon. Here is a link to some average weather statistics.
http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...?country=india