Your thoughts on AirAsia and JetStar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read older reviews of AirAsia and JetStar and I understand the ridiculous baggage check fees and other assorted charges, but what are your recent experiences with these airlines?

I'm flying from Chiang Mai to Kuala Lumpur, then I need to fly from Penang to Singapore. AirAsia and JetStar seem to have the best non-stop flights for my itinerary.

Thank you in advance for any comments, tips or tricks. I hope to make my reservations sometime soon but I'm a little concerned from a reliability and safety aspect.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM

I've flown with both in the past few months, both flights were fine, on time and smooth, although under two hours. Not sure I'd book a long haul, although DH flew Jetstar Bangkok -Melbourne and said it was fine.

The luggage fee was about $20 for 20kg checked on the short flights,

I think AirAsia might have been slightly better in terms of cleaner plane, friendlier crew.

I would avoid any airlines that are based in Indonesia (tip from an aircraft engineer I once met)
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 11:40 AM

Agree with Sartoric here. I took both airlines in November and December, and they were fine for short-hauls. I think the baggage fees are a bit cheaper if you purchase it in advance. Planes are clean and staff professional.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. As you can see, both flights will be fairly short, but I truly appreciate your insight.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM

I flown many times witnAA ( last time Nov Osaka. To KUL ) fab value for money, you get what you pay for. Have flown many times with them , and would recommend Singapore to Penang is a very short flight. Don't worry !
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Flew AA to Phills from HK. All good, esp low cost of advance bag check which was my big golf bag. Plane not full, lots of room
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

My flights aren't until November. I missed AA's Big Sale. Should I wait for another sale, or just go ahead and book? It seems like the sales they're running now, run until late summer or thereabouts. I'm not sure I would save a bunch of money, but every little bit helps.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 07:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I would wait. My experience with AA is that they run sales frequently. Sign up for their sales if you haven't already. The other reason to wait is that they change flight times, so the further out you book the more likely you could have that happen.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 09:28 AM

I have had very good luck with AA on many flts.. one bad experience--from NC to BKK my carry on was too heavy and the cost was about equal to my fare... they have never weighed my carryon otherwise. we work carefully to keep checked luggage to appropriate weight..