Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

New World Renaissance -Hong Kong-Sian Inter Continental Bangkof

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Alice

Hi
We are leaving for Hong Kong & Thailand late October returning middle November. 1st stop New World Renaissance in HK 4 nites -2nd Siam Inter Cont. Bangkok-then to Chiang Mia and Chiang Rai- Would appreciate info on hotels, shots, etc. FIRST TRIP - Any info would be of great help. Thanks

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Les

Alice,
We stayed at the New World on our first trip to HK. It's a very nice hotel, in a wonderful location (Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon). It's a 5-minute walk to the Star Ferry that takes you across the harbor to HK Island. There's a very nice promenade between the hotel and the ferry that has a wonderful view across the harbour to the island. The only down side was that we didn't have a harbor-view room (I think I read somewhere that none of the rooms at the New World has a harbor view).
Hope this helps.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Alice

Les- thanks for your reply. It does help to hear from someone who has actually stayed there. Sounds great. Hope the rooms are ok. Thank you Alice

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 12:30 AM
Pas

By all means stay in the Siam Intercontinental in Bangkok. It is one of the few remaining places with tropical gardens - having been carved out of the gardens of the palace behind it. Enjoy it while you can, as it is due to be torn down next year to be replaced by an extended Siam Center shopping mall and a new hotel (without the gardens!).

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:51 AM
andrew

Alice,

I have stayed at the New World ... it is a deluxe hjotel and the rooms are nice. Les is right that they do not have harbour view rooms, and the lcoation is very convenient to shopping, subway, the ferry, etc.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Alice

Thanks for the last two replys. Do appreciate it. Has anyone stayed at the Dusit Island Resort in Chiang Rai and the Amity Green Hills Hotel in Chiang Mai. Thanks again for any information.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Meg

We stayed at the Siam Inter-Continental in July and were very pleased. The location is great. The skytrain runs directly in front of the hotel, so you can get to almost any part of the city within 10 minutes. The grounds are lovely. It's easy to forget you are smack in the center of Bangkok.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Joseph

I have stayed at the New World. You will love the hotel and the location, you could not ask for a better location. I know someone who stayed at the Sian Inter and loved it. Enjoy your trip!!!!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Les

Hi again, Alice.
We've also stayed at the Dusit Island Resort in Chiang Rai. It's a very nice hotel (probably the nicest in Chiang Rai, unless others were built since we were there). It has a wonderful location on the river, and a great restaurant on the top floor with a nice view. The staff there were extremely friendly and helpful. My wife was injured while we were touring the Golden Triangle, and when we got back to the hotel and it appeared that she needed medical attention, they insisted on driving us to the hospital in their shuttle van. Came back to get us when we were finished.
I'm certain you'll enjoy the hotel.