Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   New Series on Street Food in Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/new-series-on-street-food-in-asia-1666381/)

Kathie Apr 26th, 2019 02:15 PM

New Series on Street Food in Asia

Netflix has a new series on Street Food. They will choose a different city in Asia each week.

kja Apr 26th, 2019 05:32 PM

Thanks for letting us know!

Kathie Apr 26th, 2019 05:53 PM

I just watched the excellent first episode on Bangkok. It is focussed on the woman who received a Michelin Star for her street food!

CaliforniaLady Apr 26th, 2019 06:39 PM

Kathie, you probably could have produced the Bangkok episode. Have you tried the street food from the woman mentioned in the episode?

Kathie Apr 27th, 2019 08:00 AM

No, CaliforniaLady, I have not. I would love to, especially her crab omelet! I loved watching the episode, as we recognized so many places, and even recognized a chef we know in one of the scenes.

Guenmai Apr 28th, 2019 01:30 AM

It's too bad that I don't have Netflix. As for the crab omelette lady, it's probably the one that Mark did a video about.

Happy Travels!

jacketwatch Apr 28th, 2019 07:06 AM

Guenmai: Thats her. I watched it too.

It was more about individual merchants than the overall street scene and this lady got the bulk of the report.

She was inspiring!

sabukmk Apr 30th, 2019 01:55 AM

I loved the first episode!

progol May 1st, 2019 04:51 AM

I'm enjoying it, too! Now I want to go back to Bangkok and try that crab omelette!

Florida1 May 1st, 2019 08:11 AM

I'm going to have to watch this! Thanks, Kathie! Although it's just going to make me hungry for food I can't get to right now... :)

Geordie May 1st, 2019 02:16 PM

I'm sorry to say it as I normally enjoy watching food shows exploring the food scene in different cities, I watched the first few and then quickly skipped the others, it should be called street food sellers, by the end I got fed up of the commentary, there was very little information about the actual street food. It reminded me of those dumb down infomercials you get on airlines when flying into a city.

jacketwatch May 2nd, 2019 02:40 AM

So far I've watched the episodes about Bangkok, Osaka, Delhi and Jakarta. Next is Taiwan. Really enjoying how the vendor highlighted is featured in terms of going into detail about their lives and so much they had to overcome as well as the development of their products. Its a unique approach, one I've never seen before. Well done!

Kathie May 2nd, 2019 09:02 AM

Other programs in this series have likewise given a goodly amount of attention to the chefs and how they got to where they are now. I have found that emphasis to be fascinating, but clearly it isn't for everyone. The first season had the story of a Japanese woman who became a Kaiseki chef. Also, I enjoyed learning about Gaggan (of the Bangkok restaurant of the same name) who was, I believe, in the second season of this program.

khunwilko May 3rd, 2019 09:18 PM

This is in Plymouth....

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...c56258c9ac.jpg
for those of you in UK who are missing Thai street food........

crellston May 3rd, 2019 10:37 PM

May have to start another one month free trial with Netflix just to watch this, Although the streetfood scene in Bangkok has been in decline in recent years as the government apparently seek to clear the sidewalks, we still found one or two areas where good street vendors were still in evidence. Would love to see the programme about Taiwan where they really have elevated street-food to an art form. Raohe night market was amazing. Also hope South Korea is covered - the best dumplings in the world!

jacketwatch May 4th, 2019 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by crellston (Post 16913973)
May have to start another one month free trial with Netflix just to watch this, Although the streetfood scene in Bangkok has been in decline in recent years as the government apparently seek to clear the sidewalks, we still found one or two areas where good street vendors were still in evidence. Would love to see the programme about Taiwan where they really have elevated street-food to an art form. Raohe night market was amazing. Also hope South Korea is covered - the best dumplings in the world!

So. Korea is covered actually.