Notices

New Millennium Hilton, Bangkok

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Millennium Hilton, Bangkok

Has anyone stayed at the Millennium Hilton? There seem to be some great price deals at the moment as it is newly opened.

Not really thinking of transferring to stay there - although the views from the rooms look great - but I read one review which said the bars were good. So I was wondering whereabouts it is on the Chao Phrya in relation to the Peninsula, Oriental, S-La, Marriott etc as we may pop over there one night for a drink.
thx
BB
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Presumably you read the somewhat mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com -

The hotel is not far from the Penn, across the river from the Royal Orchid Sheraton and River City - north of all of the other hotels.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:40 AM

The reception area for the Hilton is right in River City, so it looks like they will deliver people to and from River City with considerable frequency.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig and Kathie. I did look at the reviews on TA. Would we be able to hire a boat from the Penn to take us up to the Hilton at night?
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:48 AM

I'm not sure if the long tail boats are out at night - I seem to recall someone saying they're not. It would be an easy 5 minute taxi ride though.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:06 AM

Just got back from the Pen in Bangkok. The Millenium Hilton have their own boats. We cruised past it a couple of times - seemed very quiet. There is a strange fencing arrangement in front of the ground floor windows.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM

Last week I had dinner at their steak restaurant "Prime" and then went to listen to some live jazz at "360" on the top floor. The lobby looks nice but the service was sub standard. A/C at 360 was not functioning properly hence it was rather hot there. Food tasted good but service was slow and unprofessional.

At the moment if you charge 2,500 baht or more on your AMEX card for anything at the hotel they will give you a voucher for a one night stay. I've got a few vouchers so if I stay there I'll let you know how the rooms are.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Was at 360 last night for a drinks-do. There was a huge crowd for the function (it's not a big place) but I had no complaints about the A/C. The view is very good (and really is 360 degrees). Rivals Scirocco although it's not quite as high (but you don't have to worry about rain either).

The lobby is very striking, very Thai modern. Definitely cool and business like, although I don't think it crosses the line to cold and unfriendly. The saving grace is lots of comfortable seating (don't you hate big impressive lobbies with nowhere to sit?)

Was very impressed arriving by boat. The river-side is very nicely done, unlike most other river-side hotels (including the Pen & Oriental). "Infinity" style lotus ponds border the river, backed by a huge outdoor seating area for the "Flow" restaurant.

The pool is a tiny lap-size thing on the 4th floor, although in an attempt to do something different, they did bring in sand to build Bangkok's only "beach".

Haven't tried Prime yet, but have heard raves from a few others. Management and a lot of the staff are from the NY Steakhouse at the JW. They also serve US beef, since it's now legal again.