Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   New Delhi vsJaipur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/new-delhi-vsjaipur-573880/)

cochin321 Dec 1st, 2005 08:42 AM

New Delhi vsJaipur

Already have flights to New delhi where i will be for 2 full days. I have already been here and seen the red fort ,parliment house,India gate,Jama mosque,Raj Ghat,Humayuns Tomb.My question is should i travel 5 hours to Jaipur and spend the day or night there or should i stay in New Delhi and see the rest of the city.What would you suggest. Please no museums.My girlfriend and myself are in our 30s and like to keep moving.The rest of our trip will be in Tibet and Nepal where we will be driving very long distances.So i would rather not drive to far unless it is worth the long ride.Thanks

Craig Dec 1st, 2005 09:29 AM

Jaipur is quite different from Delhi - it is far less cosmopolitan and has lots of character and history - if you have a full day or two half days it is worth going to see Amber Fort and the City Palace. You could also kill a couple of days in Delhi shopping of course but maybe thats not your style. The drive to Jaipur would be "interesting" or you could take the train one way or both and save some time. Other sites to see in Delhi include the Sikh Temple (Bangla Sahib Gurudwara) and Qutab Minar. I assume that you have already been to Agra to see the Taj - its only two hours by train, three hours by car (another "interesting" drive). Hope this helps.

glorialf Dec 1st, 2005 10:30 AM

I found Jaipur much more interesting than Delhi.

Alan Dec 1st, 2005 01:11 PM

I agree, I'd do Jaipur just for the experience. To really appreciate India, I feel, you need to get out of the capitals and see some regional areas (I guess that's true of all countries, not just India), and Rajasthan is a great one to start with!

cochin321 Dec 1st, 2005 05:50 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts.Jaipur seems the way to go...

hobbes Dec 1st, 2005 08:25 PM

Why don't u consider something nearer with a different non Delhi ambience? I'm not sure I'd make the drive to jaipur for 1 night if I was going to be spendiing a great deal of my holiday in cars doing transfers. Options you could look at are the Neemrana Hotel property, just an hour from the international airport, Tikli Bottom, great converted farmhouse home stay.

suzeeQ Dec 4th, 2005 07:53 PM

Don't miss Jaipur...it is wonderful...
the Royal Observatory is amazing...don't rush thru it or the museum at the City Palace....the Amber Fort is a short elephant ride but they are beautiful and it is very cool...and the fort's a worthwhile visit...the palace inside is amazing and beautiful...it is also a very nice walk to fort instead of taking the elephants..... also in Jaipur is the Water Palace in the middle of the lake....Jaipur is much
different than Delhi..i was there last February and am returning this February....Jaipur also has good shopping.....while you are in Delhi take a rickshaw to Chandi Chowk...it is an experience you won't forget..have fun...

cochin321 Dec 6th, 2005 06:52 PM

hobbes, can u tell me more about these places//

hobbes Dec 7th, 2005 07:42 PM

Neemrana Fort hotel - www.neemranahotels.com - is a resort property, no sightseeing apart from the hotel set about an hour from the international airport atop a hill - I love it. Could be some trekking opportunities. Take a look at other Neemrana properties near Delhi too. Tikli Bottom - www.tiklibottom.com - again a resort style property, trekking opportunities. Both places to experience rather than go with any set agenda.

wunderlust Dec 10th, 2005 06:34 AM

Just came back from my trip to india and although I didn't do (or know about) Hobbes' recommendations, I would definitely consider something closer to Delhi. Although Jaipur was great and I'm glad I went, I can't say it would be worth the long drive for only one day there. Something we weren't told was that that pollution in Jaipur was horrifying, the worst in all the places we went to in Northern India. (Was warned about Kathmandu, but was a breath of fresh air in comparison). Consider something closer to Delhi to get the most out of your trip. Car rides are already long in India, no sense in adding to it.