Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > New China virus and travel to there
Notices

New China virus and travel to there

Apr 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

New China virus and travel to there

When the SARS virus occurred, 2003?, did not China close the borders to foreign travelers? Now i read the H7N9 ? virus have been isolated in Taiwan, a nearby Island to the mainland. Any predictions on this virus and the operations of the Chinese Border and Visa Patrol within the next 60 days, as i have my ticket and visa in hand. Naturally, if the Chinese close the border, my claim of 'force majeur' will be lost on them and i will lose the ticket and maybe hotel costs. I also read that this virus in especially virulent with a high degree of human mortality so if the choice is stay alive or lose money...hm, let me think on that..
Apr 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM

jobin, this new avain flu is pretty different from SARS. SARS was quickly and easily transmitted person-to-person, often by touching surfaces like door knobs and elevator buttons. There is currently no good evidence of person-to-person transmission of H7N9, though it is being watched closely.

New influenza viruses emerge at least annually in China. Unless this virus suddenly becomes easily transmitted by casual contact, I would not expect any change in visa and/or border operations in China.
Apr 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM

More people die of a flu virus where I come from and we have a much smaller population. Not a big deal, really.

Search this Thread