Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need Sri Lanka advice.. Questions on which safari, which train.. many more!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2018, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Sri Lanka Mid-November for 2 weeks (very excited) and I have a few questions.

1. Which safari would be best in November? We were thinking Yala however it will be the wet season so now we are not so sure.

2. Also would love advice on which train to catch (we will only do 1): Kandy to Nanu Oya (Newara Eliya), or Nanu Oya > Ella... Is one better than the other or both the same? I mean this in terms of the countryside view. We do not care where we are on the train!

3. If there are any great guesthouses around Unawatuna, Mirissa, Hiriketiya etc. Please let me know, i would love to check them out!

4. Any great driver recommendations would also be appreciated

Thank you very much in advance!
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=giorgiatee;16805949]I'm going to Sri Lanka Mid-November for 2 weeks (very excited) and I have a few questions.

1. Which safari would be best in November? We were thinking Yala however it will be the wet season so now we are not so sure.

November is not considered the best month for Yala as it typically rains. However I have been there in November and had great weather and sightings. Weather patterns have been changing and become more unpredictable in recent years. Yala is undoubtedly the best for leopard and migrant birds will also have started arriving by November. Wilpattu is good too but sighting more scarce. Kaudulla/Minneriya should be good for elephants.

2. Also would love advice on which train to catch (we will only do 1): Kandy to Nanu Oya (Newara Eliya), or Nanu Oya > Ella... Is one better than the other or both the same? I mean this in terms of the countryside view. We do not care where we are on the train!

Both legs are basically the same train and in my opinion the Nanuoya - Ella leg will be more nice.

3. If there are any great guesthouses around Unawatuna, Mirissa, Hiriketiya etc. Please let me know, I would love to check them out!

Leave it to others to advise you on this

4. Any great driver recommendations would also be appreciated

Suggest you to book through a good local travel agent as this will be more reliable and give you back up options incase of breakdowns etc. Freelance drivers abound however there is very poor quality control and while some may be good there are many bad eggs too and you don't want to be stuck without options or backup.
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:54 PM

Hi you should check out Wilpattu National Park