Need more HELP with Thailand itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites. Thanks to those who helped me with my itinerary first time around.

Headed to Thailand in November. Will have 10 full days to play. It is important to me to go somewhere beyond Bangkok and Krabi.

Here is what i am thinking:

2 days/nights Bangkok
2 days/nights Sukhothai
4 days/nights Krabi
1 more day/night Bangkok

Thoughts?

Also, how far and how much hassle is the airport in Bangkok to fly domestically? Would it make more sense to hire a driver at least one direction to or from Sukothai?

Really appreciate the much needed help!
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM

Doing the math you are one day short on your list above. I would add a day in Bangkok on the front end. 3 destinations in 10 days is really pushing it. I don't recall where you are coming from but you will have some jet lag the first day. You will lose a lot of time heading back and forth to the airports. I suggest two locations only- Bangkok and Krabi.
I suggest 4/4/2. Bangkok/Krabi/Bangkok
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 11:54 AM

Well, if you want to have enough time to experience a bit of the place, you'll need to confine yourself to two destinations. However, you could visit Bangkok, Krabi and Ayutthaya in the time allotted, even staying over one or two nights, as it doesn't require a flight.

The Bangkok Airport is huge. It's not a lot of hassle, but consider how much time you lose when you change locations: check out of your hotel, drive to the airport, check in, wait, fly, wait for you luggage, driver to next hotel, check in... count on losing half a day. And the drive to Sukhothai is long - you'd lose even more time.

The other option to consider is to forgo the beach and choose a different location, say, Bangkok and Siem Reap.
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:48 PM

the distances at the bkk airport are annoying...it can take as much as 15 minutes to walk to your gate..

AY only requires 1 day max, and in fact i would cut it altogether and add the time to bkk or the beach..

you do not have enough time for siem reap
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:49 PM

Bangkok to Sukhothai will take you a good 5 hours drive. If your interest is to see the ruins then you will need, IMO, to plan for 1 or 2 nights there.

If you just want to experience something apart from Bangkok or Krabi then I suggest you add Chiang Mai. Perhaps something like this:

3 nights in Bangkok
Fly to Chiang Mai and spend 2 nights there.
Fly direct from Chiang Mai to Phuket and take a car to Krabi, around 1.5 hours. Spend 4 nights there.
Fly Krabi to Bangkok and fly home IF your international flight depart in the evening. No need to spend the last night in Bangkok.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! This is a tough one for sure. I wish I could add 2 more days, but alas, I simply cannot.

Hanuman: I read online that the drive from Phuket to Krabi is 4 hours. Is this wrong? I strongly prefer to fly to Phuket as there are no direct flights to Krabi from Chang Mai.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM

No way is the drive from Phuket to Krabi 4 hours.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM

I recall it took around 2+ hours, over 20 years ago, and the distant is around 180KM.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 07:36 PM

i think it took me about 3 hours 3 years ago.. its slow going
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. What is the best way to get from Phuket to Krabi? Private driver? Any recommendations?