Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need information on North Malé Atoll, Republic of Maldives

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any information on the Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Kuda Huraa?? We are interested in possibly celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary there and would like to know your comments.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:35 AM

My husband and I went to the Maldives last year for our honeymoon. We did not stay at the Four Seasons (I hear wonderful things about it though, and we were very close to booking it). We stayed at the Banyan Tree, which is accessible by speedboat. Lovely and unique accomodations. Very expensive (slightly less so than the Four Seasons), but we did get some sort of a deal. There are prety much only three things to do in the Maldives. Snorkel. Dive. The third I will leave to your imagination, and it is what makes the Maldives such a romantic place for a honeymoon or anniversary.

Have a safe and fun trip!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Hi!
My husband and I are strongly considering this same trip in 2004. I will tell you though that info on the Maldives is hard to come by. So few people have been there. I've been looking for a good Maldives forum, but to no avail. Please let me know if you find one.

At any rate, I have spoken to a few well-traveled people who claim the Four Seasons Maldives is quite lovely. My husband and I are interested in a water bungalow and a short Island Explorer cruise. We'd like to try the Banyan Tree as well, but don't think we'll have the time. Our biggest problem is deciding when to go - our window is june-december, but the weather at this time leaves something to be desired. We're still considering December, though.

When are you considering going? Feel free to email me if you'd like to keep up to date on each other's findings. [email protected].
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Ericka, thanks for the reply. Yes indeed I am finding information very hard to come by regarding the Maldives. We would be traveling from the USA in June 2004. I to have heard good things about the Four Seasons and the Banyan Tree. We are also interested in an over the water bungalow. Some much so in fact that we are also considering a resort in Bora Bora. As far as more information I am hoping that more travelers respond to this thread.

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:34 PM

In March this year, our family spent 4 nights/5 days at the Four Seasons Kuda Huraa. It was one of the best vacations we have ever had. The kids (ages 10 and 15) stayed busy with sea kayaking, snorkeling, scuba lessons for the 15 year old and my husband, and enjoying the swim-up bar at the pool. I loved the spa (those Ayurvedic treatments are amazing), the sunrise yoga classes on the beach, and the excellent choices in food at the 4 different restaurants. It was definitely one of the most relaxing places I have ever visited. No shopping, no nightclubbing, no tours. Just beautiful, lazy days in the sun.

We did not stay in a water villa, because we wanted 2 connected bungalows, but they certainly looked private and romantic.
We took a tour of the Island Explorer, which was brand new at the time, but did not go on a cruise. For serious divers, it would be nirvana. It had the largest inventory of high tech diving gear I have ever seen and the staterooms have all the amenities of a Four Seasons hotel, right down to those famous mattresses.
We took a boat ride over to look at the Banyan Tree, which did not impress me at all. They do not have water villas, and the island is very small, so that the villas seem quite close together and not nearly as private as those at the Four Seasons. The Banyan Tree does have good snorkeling right off their beach (at the FS you need to take a short boat trip to get to the really good snorkeling) but in my mind, that is not enough reason to choose it over the FS.
If you have any other specific questions, please post them here and I will try to answer.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM

We've never been to the Four Seasons, but we've been going to Bandos for years. Bandos has an excellent dive operation and an incredible house reef you can access via the beach, but it's a more family oriented island, and probably not what you're looking for.

A couple we know did stay at the Four Seasons last year and really enjoyed it, but found it incredibly expensive. A glass of wine ran about $12, but the service sounded wonderful. Cold towels brought to you on the beach, etc.

While on Bandos I took two island hopping trips to see other Maldive islands - there are some gorgeous resorts out there. I visited Club Med, Soneva Gilli (great place for a honeymoon or anniversary) and a few places I can't remember how to spell.

You might want to check out these sites for more info:

www.maldives.com, maldive.com

The Maldives is a wonderful place - regardless of your island choice, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
lwallace44

Hello! I am a travel agent that specializes in Indian Ocean vacations including the Maldives. I have been many times and thought I would throw in my observations.

The Four Seasons is definitely a wonderful resort. There is no doubt about it.

There are other resorts in the Maldives that are equally as nice and might even suit your desires better than Four Seasons.

The Soneva Gili Resort is a spectacular resort that specializes in over water villas. In fact, all the villas at the resort are over water and are spaced at least 20 meters a part from each other. One of the restaurants is over water and so is the spa and gym. Soneva Gili is a unique, intimate and wonderful resort with excellent food and service. The diving is also excellent.

The Taj Exotica Resort is part of the award winning Taj Group of Hotels and is also a beautiful resort. The resort has over water villas and 2 nice restaurants. Taj Exotica is a very luxurious and all around excellent resort.

The One&Only Kanuhura Resort is another beautiful resort with over water villas as well as beach villas. There is a wide range of activities and has a few very good restaurants.

The last resort I will mention is the Soneva Fushi Resort. Soneva Fushi is set on a larger island than some of the other resorts so there are more activities. The resort was voted best in the Maldives not to long ago and there is good reason for it. The food, service, and rooms are outstanding.

Feel free to email me and I will be happy to answer any questions, send information, talk to you more about the different resorts.

[email protected]

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I have heard some good and not so good comments on Kuda Huraa.
More positive comments have come from Banyan Tree. (but if I'm not mistaken they don't have A/C, which you will long for!)
I personally stayed at Soneva Fushi in 2000 and at Kanuhura 2002. Both of these were exceptional 5* resorts. Although I prefered Kanuhura a bit more.
They are expensive,but sounds like you're prepared for that.
We're planning our 3rd trip and will stay at Soneva Gili. After which I'll post review.
good luck deciding