Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Need help with Japanese directions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/need-help-with-japanese-directions-450093/)

mrwunrfl Nov 5th, 2008 07:14 PM

Need help with Japanese directions

Can someone help translate this page:
http://dom.jtb.co.jp/yado/List.aspx?sa=4505

I think it says that from Miyazaki airport you take a train for 80 minutes to Nobeoka. At Nobeoka, get a bus and ride 80 minutes to Takachiho.

I don't understand the directions from Kumamoto. I think they must be saying that it is 70 minutes from Kumamoto airport to Nobeoka and then you get the 80 minute bus ride to Takachiho.

I hope that I am mistaken and that it actually says that it is a 70 minute bus ride from Kumamoto airport to Takachiho.

kappa1 Nov 5th, 2008 08:56 PM

Above URL shows 6 roykans. Which one are you asking about? You seem to be correct about the first one (Shinsen) but, from Takachiho Bus Center to Shinsen is 5-minute taxi ride. It doesn't say direction from Kumamoto airport. 2nd one "Iwado-ya" has direction from Kumamoto airport but doesn't say 70 nor 80 minutes. Says at Kumamoto Airport, take a bus (for direction Nobeoka Bus Center) then get off after 120 minutes at Takachiho Bus Center. + 10 min. taxi ride from TBC.

mrwunrfl Nov 5th, 2008 09:51 PM

Thanks kappa. babelfish.altavista.com translated the Iwado-ya directions as:

"[Access] the Kumamoto airport -> bus Nobeoka bus center it goes, approximately 120 minute Takachiho bus center getting off -> taxi approximately 10 minutes"

Your translations makes more sense, when you wrote "for direction Nobeoka Bus Center".

So, now I understand: it is a 2-hour bus ride from Kumamoto Airport to Takachiho. The bus continues on to NBC.

This is a good option, to get to Takachiho from Kumamoto airport. From Takachiho I would take the mountain train down to Nobeoka and then JR to Miyazaki. No backtracking.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 6th, 2008 12:34 PM

mrwunrfl,
Looks like the Nov Japan trip is a go. What does a wunrfl Japan itinerary look like? Just curious,lol

Aloha!

Mara Nov 6th, 2008 02:50 PM

Me too, as I canceled my trip I need to live vicariously..... ;-)

hawaiiantraveler Nov 6th, 2008 02:53 PM

Mara,

Oh no.....what happened this time?

Mara Nov 6th, 2008 03:23 PM

ht - I posted in Shandy's thread I think - first of all my kitchen renovation took longer than I thought so things in my apartment are topsy turvy to say the least. And starting about two months ago I have had a problem with my knee. The orthopedic doc said it was a tendon issue. I am waiting MRI results plus I am going to physical therapy. I felt it was not a good way to start a trip to Japan particularly with my plan to stay in five different places in ten days..... ;-)

btw, mrwunrfl - I use Rikaichan to translate Japanese to English. I think it only works on the Firefox browser...

mrwunrfl Nov 6th, 2008 05:32 PM

If I knew, I would tell you.

What I was looking into was:
Nov 21, arrive NRT, stay in Yokohama
Nov 22, fly to Kumamoto and take bus to Takachiho
kagura dances that night. fall colors, Takachiho gorge
Nov 23 to Ebino Kogen plateau, coincidentally to a town called Takachiho Onsen. Kirishima.
Nov 24 to Miyazaki, three nights at the Sheraton at Ocean Dome.
Nov 27 fly back to Tokyo
Nov 28 day trip to Nikko
Nov 29 to LAX

Or maybe overnight in Nikko.

Or maybe fly on to Fukuoka on the 21st. Kyushu Bassho (sumo) on 22nd. A night in Yufuin or Beppu and then on to Takachiho, Kirishima, Miyazaki.

mrwunrfl Nov 6th, 2008 05:37 PM

And so I find another webpage that says, in English:
There are buses from Kumamoto to Nobeoka via Kumamoto Airport, but they take over 4 hours, plus another 90 minutes to Takachiho.

From west to east, these places are:
1) Kumamoto
2) Kumamoto Airport
3) Takachiho
4) Nobeoka

Don't want to have to go from 2 to 4 to 3.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 8th, 2008 07:26 AM

Mara, I just started using Raikaichan as it is a added tool for the firefox browser only and that's the browser I use. The program works great but is a little confusing until you get to "know" it. Great for translation of single kanji characters

bill, would be nice to catch the second to last day of the basho. hope they have tickets! have you been to nikko before?

Aloha!

mrwunrfl Nov 8th, 2008 11:04 AM

No, I haven't been to Nikko yet. Did you stay overnight? Where? Looks like I might have to cancel anyway.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 8th, 2008 12:12 PM

Hope you get to go

Yes we stayed overnight and I would recommend it as too much to see in a day trip imho.

We stayed at Senhime Monogatari Ryokan and really enjoyed it but lots of places to stay there as you know.

http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/nikko/senhime.htm

We liked Nikko much better than we did Nara for the scenic value alone not to mention there is much more to see and do in and around Nikko with half the tourists of Nara. I can see why Tokugawa Ieyasu chose it as his summer retreat.

Aloha!