Need help for place to stay in Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Singapore in June for a trip with my mom who is turning 80. We were originally going to China but now that the grandchildren are coming as well, we decided on Singapore instead. I need advice on a place to stay that is like an apartel - with kitchen but has maid service - as we have younger children with us, a kitchen is a must! Can anyone recommend a place like this that will also be convenient for shopping and sightseeing. Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Found couple of sites for you. Mind you since I live here I haven't tried any of them.

http://www.moveandstay.com/singapore/

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/singa...apartments.htm

http://www.the-ascott.com/enasc/sing..._apartment.asp

Happy hunting. Good timing the Great Singapore Sale will be on!
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KMLoke! Will check out these websites. What exactly is the Singapore sale. I have gotten the same reaction from people - you're just in time for the SALE!! Can you please give me information about it and where the best buys can be found. Thanks again!
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Go to the first webssite listed by KMLoke and click on the link for Treetops. Among expats in Singapore who are "shifting house" as they say here, it is considered the nicest. Gorgeous resort like pool area and the staff is very nice. Many of my friends have used it and are reluctant to have to leave. The location is excellent.....just half a block off the leafy green part of Orchard Rd. and walking distance to the Botanical Garden. Many good restaurants and tons of shopping in walking distance. It is more expensive than most of the serviced apts, but if it fits your budget, it's worth it.
The Great Singapore Sale is a time of year when all the merchants on Orchard offer their best prices on all sorts of merchandise. Can't tell you from personal experience if it's any good, because I have always departed on home leave by the time it starts.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM

KMLoke / Lindsey , do you know anything of "Fraser Place Residences" ? we were looking at it for later in the year, the rates for our usualy hotels have gone up and thinking of these suites/apartments as an alternative.
They might suit Martinan too.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:21 AM

I can only comment on the location of Fraser Suites, since I have never seen the inside of one of the units. It's on River Valley Rd., which is about a 5 min taxi ride in one direction to the central part of Orchard or 5 min the other way, to Clark Quay/Boat Quay area. Pretty central, depending on what you want to be near, but not walking distance to much.
One advantage of Fraser Suites over Treetops is that on the ground floor of Fraser there is a nice little grocery store, where you can stock your pantry. Very convenient. There is also a nice casual restaurant called La Forketta....Italian food, pizza, pasta etc. and a great wine shop (Crystal Wines....I buy most of my wine there.)

Treetops has a grocery store (Jason's) about a 5-6 min walk and probably 25 restaurants also in a 5 min walk.

Fraser Suites seems to have a long list of amenities. It's more of a high rise than Treetops, which is only 4 stories and kind of wraps around the pool area.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. I live a 10 min walk from Treetops, so I know the neighborhood very well.
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:59 PM

The website for the Great Singapore Sale or GSS.

http://www.greatsingaporesale.com.sg/index-eng.html

Now it's almost island wide.

Old May 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KMLoke!
JamesA, is Fraser Place Residences the same as Fraser suites? I read mix reviews at tripadvisor. Good luck!
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM

Oops....just realized JamesA was asking about Fraser Place and I was talking about Fraser Suites.
Fraser Place and Fraser Suites are two different places, managed by the same company.
Fraser Suites is closer to Orchard. Fraser Place is right on the river, an easy walk to lots of restaurants and nightclubs, as well as Ft. Canning. Pretty convenient for most things.
You would have to check the websites to compare the various amenities.
I looked at the negative reviews on tripadvisor and they seemed to be directed at Fraser Suites.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:56 AM

Yes, moveandstay.com...but I'd use them to get an idea of places and then would contact the place directly and try to negotiate the price. Sometimes moveandstay.com prices can be higher than if one negotiated directly with the serviced apartment complex. I live at a serviced apartment complex in Bangkok. Try the Fraser apartments in Singapore. They should be quite good as they are in Bangkok. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:40 AM

ttt for serviced apartments in Singapore