Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need help! China on our own and do a Yantze cruise?

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted to go to China for a long time and my daughter wants to go also. She is 13 and we travel quite a bit and have never taken a group tour/package etc. I had decided to do China with a tour package and I know we want to do Bejing, Shanghai and above all we want to do a 3 night downstream cruise and see the Three Gorges. I just really want to see this area before it is basically gone. Every company I can find that has the trip I want doesn't go when I can go. I am trying to plan it around my daughters spring break and add a couple extra days but I don't want her to miss much school. Thus my problem!! How hard would it be to book everything myself and get the transportation and find a cruise that would work for our schedule? Does anyone have any websites where I can try to book the cruise and see if there are actually any available the time we need? I know in other places there are constantly river cruises at all times just with different companies. I really appreciate any advice and help you can give me.
Thanks, April
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typos in my above post. I was just typing away and never proof read my post before I hit Post. April
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Not aware of any site which you can book online. And even if they exist, the cost will be quite a bit more than if you take a chance and get to Chongqing first, then get your hotel concierge or a local agent to get cruise tickets for you.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM

hi april,

i came back from a trip to China and we used chinahighlights.com to book our trip ( they are the CITS office in guilin). we didn't take a yangtze cruise but had looked into it previously. their website has a nice comprehensive page comparing all the boats and their schedules. i don't know when they post the 2006 schedules, but the days the boats leave should remain the same. you should plan the trip around the cruise; the agents there can help with as much or as little as you need.

http://www.chinahighlights.com/yangtzecruise/price.html
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:34 AM

You can certainly do the trip on your own. We prebooked our cruise on the Victoria using www.wacts.com. Victoria schedules are at ww.victoriacruises.com. Another cruise line of interest may be www.orientroyalcruise.com. Don't book direct from the cruiselines, since they will charge you double what travel agencies do.

For do-it-yourself information on a China trip click on my name and look for my report China on our own.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SOOOOO much, As always the best info is on Fodors!! I have checked out the websites suggested and now I feel like I can start planning. I do hope this works out. It is so much harder planning when you have to be inflexible with dates. Again thank you for all your great info. I am sure I will have a million more questions. April
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:10 AM

april, I too am planning to take my 12 yr old son to china over easter april 8th- monday april 24.He will miss 7 days of school. I tried to shorten it,but I found there were too many places I wanted to go to.I found the same problems with organized trips. They either did not have the right departure dates or I felt if i organized it on my own, I could pick my own itinerary. I am working with chinaoddessey.If you are interested I could send you what they organized for me. I might try to get a group of 6 people together as it would save me 500 dollars. I have been looking at 4 star hotels and Yantze cruise ship.When I went to look for the cruise schedules for Yantze, I could not find info for schedules for 2006,but china oddessey must know as my package includes this.anita
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:53 PM

My husband and I booked our trip to China ourselves in April, 2005. That is not high season so had no problems doing whatever we wanted. We bought international flights and first hotel stop (Beijing) from U.S. over the internet. We used the airline's official website and the Chinese hotel's official website. We decided upon the hotel by reading several guide books. The domestic flights, other hotels, cruise down river, etc., we booked in China either through hotel travel agent (more expensive) or travel agent down street from hotel. Everything worked out fine. We went on a Chinese boat (don't remember the name) down Yantze River (first class so had a private cabin and bath)and it was fun, cheap. Much like a 2 star hotel. If you want to be with other westerners take Victorian. It is much cheaper to make arrangements in China, but be sure to bargain and watch for omissions in descriptions. Ask, ask, ask. We were told the truth, but often assumed things inappropriately. We had the best trip. We used two day tours in the three weeks we were there. One was good, the other poor.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM

TTT
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM

topping
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM

I'm also planning a trip leaving USA April 10, 2007 and returning on Apr. 26. Planning Shanghai arrival, 4-day President Line Yangzi Cruise, Xian, and Beijing. Will add some other stuff as I learn more and will use overnight trains on certain routes. Let me know if you want to swap info.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Just to follow up, We did not go to China but went to Thailand insead. Absolutely loved Thailand but I still want to get to China one day. Hope everyone else had great trips!
April