Search

Tiger's nest

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tiger's nest

I'm going on an OAT trip to Bhutan and India next year. The OAT borchure says it's a 90 minute hike to the monestary. I've seen other blogs say it's 4 hours. Does anyone know if OAT takes you most of the way by vehicle and then you hike the rest of the way? Just need to get an idea so I can start getting in to shape now!!

Thanks
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 04:42 AM

90 minutes. Maybe if you are an Olympic athlete. We spent eight hours but then again we are very slow.

There is no "vehicle most of the way". All vehicles stop at the parking area. You can hire a small pony that will take you part of the way - to the tea house. I recall that took us about 90 minutes and my wife was on a pony.

You then continue further without the pony. You must then descend from the viewpoint down steps cut into the rock and cross a river/stream.

You then climb back up to the monastery. Exploring the monastery is more up and down.

Get in shape. We did lots of hikes in Bhutan to many gompas. They are always up, up, up. The country is beautiful.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

AlwaysOnTheRoad has it exactly right about the ponies etc. If you do get a horse you will still have to walk down. I would expect OAT will ask you if you want a horse a day or so ahead to make sure there is one there for you. We were there a few weeks ago. We walked all the way. We also stopped quite a bit to take photos etc. At the tea house on the way up we stopped for about 30 mins & then on the way down we had late lunch there. It is a great site that is for sure. One thing is that people told me I would be fine in tennis/training shoes. I ended up taking my "small" hiking boots that have ankle support and for me that was a wise choice I felt more comfortable hopping over rocks etc. Mind you plenty of people do do it in regular shoes just be aware of your own normal preferences if you were to hike on a rocky trail at home. It is a beautiful place.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I hiked it last July 1. Truly spectacular. Four hours is about right for a leisurely hike. If you think you can make it in 90 minutes, start taking steroids now!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was the first time we used hiking sticks. I highly recommend bringing them with you from your home country. We did run into some women staying at the Aman resort who rode the small ponies beyond the tea house. Tiger's Nest is truly a special place to see in the world.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updated info. We are indeed taking lightweight hiking boots that support the ankles along with lightweight walking shoes for India. We are also taking collapsable walking sticks. You have verified what we had thought about doing. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Hi Stainless,

I wonder if you have contacted Jet Airways regarding taking the walking sticks. I have my Lekki ski poles that double as walking sticks.

What is your final decision on this important matter?

Thanks
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have taken a collapsible walking stick in checked luggage with no problems. (Only one, as it's a small bag, lol)
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. My wife and I each have a pair of collapsable walking sticks and we will probably take one each. We are going to India afterwards and pack all we need in two rolling duffles, more than big enough to pack the sticks.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM
gwm

I'm in a tour next month which, if I've read the itinerary correctly, only goes to the teahouse for lunch, then returns. I've read that there is a better lookout a bit further up, level with the Tiger's Nest. I was thinking of asking the guide whether I could go up to the higher lookout and back while the others have lunch. Would this be possible, and is the view that much better?
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Sorry gwm I have been out of the country, got back 2 weeks ago but with the new format only just noticed your question. I am sure by now you are in Bhutan. Hope you had a great trip.
J