Notices

Need advice on Tibetian Rugs

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 01:44 PM
Becky

Need advice on Tibetian Rugs

We are going to to Nepal, Tibet and India next week and one of the many questions I have is where is the best place to buy Tibetian Rugs. Is it better to buy them in Tibet or in Kathmandu? I am interested in high quality at a reasonable price. Also, does anyone have suggestions on the best way to get rugs back to the states? Thanks.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 05:58 AM
Tata

Its better to but the rugs in the States because then you don't have to ship them. Try Carpeteria, I understand they have good stuff. And if you haggle, let the man do it. Bon Jour.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Eunice

There are carpet factories in Shigatse and Lhasa. I've heard that the one in Lhasa has better carpets. When the carpets arrive, you pay by wire.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Martha Ferguson

We bought a small rug in Lhasa for about $100 and are very pleased with it. The clerk rolled it up, wrapped it in plastic and created a rope handle on it so that it could be easily carried. So, we brought it home ourselves. Very easy.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Kathie

I bought a couple of small rugs in Patan, Nepal, where the Tibetian refugees live. I also wrapped mine up and put them into my large suitcase (which I take over empty and bring back full).