Reload this Page >

What to bring with me to china?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Dawn

<BR> HI, I am going to China in 2 weeks, and was wondering what were some must haves and helpful things to bring with me? I am visiting Beijing, Xian, Wuhon, and Shanghai. Please let me know so I can be well prepared for a nice trip , Thanks!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:55 PM
xx

Nothing special. Actually I would say don't take too much as you are traveling within a wide wide range. Get some regular exercise before you go if anything. You might need to walk to a lot in the palace, great wall, ...

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Zayne

Unless your digestive system is used to Asian cuisine, I would venture to suggest a small supply of Imodium or Pepto-Bismol. Also, a small medicine kit with pain reliver and other necessities never hurts. And bring comfortable clothing and shoes (China for the tourist is not a formal place clothing-wise and it can get extremely hot in Beijing and Shanghai during July and August). Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Andrea

Well, you should bring some pocket packs of tissues for use in restrooms that don't have toilet paper (many). They do sell it in the little shops on the street, but if you have a chance you may as well bring some with you.<BR><BR>You may also want to bring something small from the US (preferably your home state/city). Any small item would be appreciated; personally, I think things that can be displayed are the best idea(something for a desk top/windowsill, keychain sort of thing). Stickers with English on them might be good for kids.<BR><BR>You may want to consider bringing bug spray, since (in Shanghai at least), mosquitoes are a problem and bug spray is hard to find here. The above poster is right about medications; while Western brand pain medication is fairly easy to find, it would be much easier if you have your own, and cold medications and pepto bismol type stuff is very, very difficult to get.<BR><BR>Most of your other daily necessities (film, etc.) you'll be able to find.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Sue

Dawn,<BR><BR>Please post a report on your return. I'm going to the exact same places next April and would love to hear all the details!! <BR><BR>If you are going on a tour, may I ask which one? <BR><BR>Have a great time!!! Sue

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Dave

Sunscreen - at least 15 spf<BR>Hat<BR>Toilet paper - we took a few half rolls without the center carboard - never be without one.<BR>Something in which to carry a small bottle of water - never be without one.<BR>Handi-Wipes<BR>Lots of reading material for the waiting times while travelling<BR>check for other suggestions by searching on China under subject search

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:33 AM
betsy

I never leave home without the Purel, antiseptic hand cleaner,,,,especially needed after visiting some very grungy bathrooms.<BR><BR>Bring postcards from home to give out to the children. Show them where you live.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:45 PM
jim

Just returned from Shanghai,Suzhou,<BR>Hangzhou,Xian,and Beijing. Xtra packs of<BR>toilet paper,wipes,small umbrella,a few packets of Woolite for washing underclothes. Most women are wearing <BR>light summer dresses. One light sweater.<BR>In the cities,if showers are not forecasted, sandals are good, otherwise<BR>your best walking shoes. a small backpack or large fanny pack. bottled water is readily available.<BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:53 PM
natalie

Definitely have packages of tissues wherever you go -- but these you can find in any Chinese market. I would recommend bringing your favorite soap if you are picky because they have some pretty horrendous soaps over there (unless you are in Beijing or Shanghai) and if you are allergic to perfumes or dyes be prepared! Bring fairly conservative clothes also, even in warmer climate, unless you feel like being stared at everywhere you go (which happens anyway to an extent). Have fun!!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Patty

Some nice clothes if you are going out to restaurants (high end ones) and clubs in Beijing or Shanghai. I felt a but underdressed a few times. And of course tissues and pepto.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Patty

I meant to say 'bit' underdressed.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Joan

Hi Dawn<BR>I am also going to China in 2 weeks - to the same palces. Are you on a tour? Might I ask which one? Could be we're on the same one.<BR>It is very hot there now - am taking light, light clothes.<BR>J

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Andrea

One comment about the clothes - do also bring at least one outfit in case of (mildly) cold weather in the evenings and also a jacket or whatever you would want to wear if it's raining (umbrellas & plastic ponchos will be readily available). Right now it is hot in Shanghai, but just last week I was wearing a suit plus a light coat to & from work.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 02:14 PM
jorge

do as the first post said the less the better.. if you need something buy it there when your done with it leave it as a tip for the hotel staff... thats what a lot of us backpackers do.. and na I'm not one of those grubby ones.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Dawn

<BR> Well, I leave for China in 1 week and a half and all your postings have been so helpful, Thank you. I am not going on a tour, though I will post a return when I get back to let you all know how it went, . All your suggestions have really kept me busy thinking of what to bring and how much to bring, Thanks Again... <BR>Let me know if you think of anything else <BR><BR> Dawn <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Philip

<BR>My wife and Ie returned from our second trip to China this Spring. We found 2 items that we ~ and they ~ much appreciated.<BR><BR>1. American candy to hand out to the children (we are from US and were told they loved American sweets).<BR><BR>2. US $2 dollar bills for tips, etc. They want US currency and rarely see the $2 dollar bills. One guide said they could sell them for a profit.<BR><BR>One last thing, we did not give money to able bodied beggars BUT we did give money to obviously disabled people. Give it some thought ~ it was much appreciated.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:19 PM
Linda

Great question!! I am going in Sept and hadn't thought about many of the things people mentioned. Thank you all.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:30 PM
mad

disposable gloves are a useful item, particularly if like me your legs are not strong enough to raise you from the "squat" toilets. you can then give an extra push off from the floor.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:40 AM
marie

If you plan to stay in a hotel there really isn't any need to bring toilet tissue from home. Bring a sandwich size ziplock bag from home and use that for your "daily supply" of tissue from the hotel. You'll find you don't need very much and it's easier to carry around. <BR><BR>When we visited China I had purchased "travel sized" rolls of tissue. Nice compact rolls and packaged to keep product clean. But we used very little and I ended up throwing out a couple rolls when I packed to come home.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:32 AM
topper

Topping for charz looking for info what to bring.