Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   nead help for china (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/nead-help-for-china-629280/)

coca Jul 8th, 2006 06:15 AM

nead help for china

we intend to go to china on mid. september for 3 weeks. To do Beijing to hongkong? or vice versa? (promblems of weather ?)from were can you fly to hong kong ?
thanks.

rkkwan Jul 8th, 2006 07:20 AM

Hong Kong is significantly warmer, more humid and has more rain than Beijing in September. You should do Beijing first.

You can fly from most major airports in China to Hong Kong; and even more choices (and cheaper) if you fly to Shenzhen, then bus/ferry to Hong Kong.

coca Jul 8th, 2006 11:06 AM

thanks. if so i think it is better to do
Beijing - Beijing

junioryin Jul 9th, 2006 02:05 AM

Actually by September, the weather in Hong Kong cools down quite a bit (at the tail end of typhoon season, though).

Beijing is great that time of year; much cooler.

Beijing and Hong Kong are totally different cities; totally different vibe. Going to Hong Kong is far more Westernized and lacks in culture- it is a business/commerce center. Going to Beijing is a much more eye-opening, cultural experience.

nancy161 Jul 13th, 2006 07:32 PM

Coca, are you planning this trip on your own or with a travel agent?
You may already know about how to obtain Chinese visa for entry; the fee for US citizens is $50 USD for single entry, and $75 for double entry.
I suggest that you fly to Hong Kong first (no visa required for HK), and use the single entry visa to Beijing, and other parts of China. Then you can return home from Beijing. (or if you prefer, you can fly back to HK before returning home)

Neil_Oz Jul 13th, 2006 08:06 PM

If you're leaving mid-September for 3 weeks you'll run into the National Day holiday week, which means things will be very busy in mainland China, with millions of people on the move and touring. I don't know how the holiday affects Hong Kong though - another poster here may be able to comment. If the effect is less marked than in Beijing, this may be one reason to see Beijing first?

rkkwan Jul 13th, 2006 08:13 PM

In Hong Kong, hotels will be more expensive and some of the tourist spots - like Disneyland - will be crowded for the first week of October. Not the best time to travel anywhere in China/HK.

aka146 Jul 13th, 2006 09:40 PM

Depending how you want to spend your 3 weeks. My suggestion is going to Hong Kong first. Book a tour to Bejing package and return to Hong Kong ( a 8-10 days will take you to Bejing,Shanghai and few other major cities). The price is quiet reasonable and be sure to go on a tour that has the tour guide speak English. 3-4 days in Hong Kong should be sufficient for Shopping and sightseeing. Good Luck. By the way, Cathay Pacific Airline daily from San Francisco & Los Angeles- a 14 hr trip to Hong Kong nonstop. Price include tax should be about $1,000 per person.