Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Narita Limousine Bus vs train (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/narita-limousine-bus-vs-train-403687/)

cba50 Jul 29th, 2008 07:17 AM

Narita Limousine Bus vs train

First time trip to Japan late August. Is their an advantage to use Narita Express VS. LImousine bus into Tokyo? Thanks.

Hanuman Jul 29th, 2008 07:22 AM

Yes the bus is more convenient as it's almost door to door. For the train you'll have to drag your luggage up and down stairways.

cruisinred Jul 29th, 2008 07:27 AM

I would agree with Hanuman. I did the bus one way and the train back to the airport. The bus was much less hassle.

valtor Jul 29th, 2008 10:17 AM

We only used the bus, and it was perfect. From the airport till the entry of the hotel. I think that it was one hour trip, 30 $ (in 2005).

Paulo59 Jul 29th, 2008 11:51 AM

The train is faster but you will need to transport your luggage as noted above. I tend to take the train in form the airport and then the bus on the way home. Both are very nice.

mrwunrfl Jul 29th, 2008 11:59 AM

There are elevators and escalators at those stations so you really wouldn't expect to be carrying luggage. At least, not at Narita Airport station and not upstairs at the other stations. Carrying luggage is a necessity at some other stations. But once above ground you will have to carry/roll it to your hotel - thru weather and heat and crowds, ...

There are two advantages to the Narita Express. 1) the cost can be covered by the JR Pass, 2) the seats are more comfortable. I am 6'3" and broad shouldered and there is no way that I could have occupied only one seat on the limo bus (good thing it didn't fill up).

Otherwise, the bus is much more convenient, as others have said. It can take you door to door, if your hotel is a stop on the route. And you wouldn't have to deal with luggage. Plus, the bus rides above ground for the whole trip.

LTD1980 Jul 30th, 2008 07:53 AM

How long does the bus take compared to the train? I, too, will be in Japan soon for my first time. I also have a huge suitcase, and am travelling with someone who also has a huge suitcase. Also, is traffic a problem with the bus?

cruisinred Jul 30th, 2008 08:52 AM

Bags go underneath the Limo Express bus...so no worries about a big bag.
There is a luggage area at the end of each train car on the NRT Express, but it was a bit crowded with bags and the train was only half full.

One additional thing to consider when debating Narita Express vs. Limo bus is the time of the last departures...so check online schedules.

Upon arrival at NRT, we just missed the last departure for the limo bus that stopped at the Grand Hyatt where we were staying. We had to take a different bus, and switch to a taxi at a bus terminal in Tokyo. Only took about 5 mins...so not a huge deal.

Also consider that if arriving at NRT from overseas, I would not want to tackle Tokyo train station in a jetlagged state. Was confusing for us even after a few days in Japan.

crellston Jul 30th, 2008 11:30 AM

We used the local train into Tokyo and the Express on the return. Both were fine and we didn't have any particular problems with carrying our luggage (2 BIG backpacks). Cruisein red's point re confusion at the station is well made it can be very confusing (although we managed ok after some help from the excellent JR staff). I would suggest returning to the airport by train when you are a bit more familar with the transport system. It is quite a train!

W9London Jul 31st, 2008 03:04 AM

One more advice re: limousine bus. I would check the routes carefully, as they can make many stops before getting to your final destinations.

ANA in Roppongi is the first from the airport)/the last (to the airport) stop, which is convenient if you're taking a taxi locally.

Also TCAT has far more frequent (like every 15min) and non-stop routes, with an advantage of being on the eastern end of central Tokyo, thus unlikely to get stuck in Express way traffic above central Tokyo.

calabia Aug 4th, 2008 08:53 PM

My family and I are also vacationing in Japan for the first time at the end of the month and this is very helpful advice. Does anyone have the website for the Limousine Bus? We're staying in Nakano in Western Tokyo and would like to see if there is a large hotel nearby that we can take the bus to rather than trying to navigate our luggage through a train terminal that I am not familiar with while jet-lagged. Thanks!

hawaiiantraveler Aug 4th, 2008 09:14 PM

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/bus/index.html

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

hawaiiantraveler Aug 4th, 2008 09:34 PM

posted too soon

Shinjuku station or Shibuya probably be the closest to Nakano

calabia Aug 4th, 2008 11:49 PM

Thanks, hawaiiantraveler!

Ethan006 Jun 17th, 2013 11:04 PM

I suggest Bus over train. For bus service go to limousine japan website.