Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Narita- Airport Bus or Taxi (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/narita-airport-bus-or-taxi-1076823/)

MrsBillT Oct 27th, 2015 02:48 PM

Narita- Airport Bus or Taxi

For two people with luggage arriving at Narita, it it cheaper to go by Airport Bus (about $25 each) or take a taxi and time wise is it the same or longer by bus?

MrsBillT Oct 27th, 2015 02:50 PM

That would be Narita to the Hilton Tokyo downtown.

Kathie Oct 27th, 2015 03:19 PM

We took the limo bus. It was cheaper, probably took a little bit longer than a taxi, but at a quarter the price! The limo buses are set up so that each route only stops at four or five hotels, so the wait isn't bad. Do look on the website - I'm sure the limo bus stops at the Hilton, but do make sure.

MrsBillT Oct 27th, 2015 04:01 PM

Ok for two people the bus would run $50. Are you saying a cab ride would be about $200?????

MinnBeef Oct 27th, 2015 04:48 PM

I took the Friendly Airport Limousine Bus (fancy name for what was a bus). Dropped me right off at my hotel in Ginza. Worked flawlessly and announcements were in both English and Japanese. You won't get a cab for anywhere close to the airport bus price.

jacketwatch Oct 27th, 2015 05:12 PM

Last year we pre-arranged a limo from Narita to the Hyatt in Shinjuku and it was about $120.00 more than the limo bus.

Kathie Oct 27th, 2015 05:44 PM

Yes, a typical price for a taxi would be about $200.

rhkkmk Oct 27th, 2015 05:50 PM

Olive, we took the bus and it was perfect... Desk for tickets is right outside customs and boarding is nearby. Bill would be comfortable. We took a cab from Tokyo station to our hotel..

Best way to go..

Btw, greetings from anantara bkk, where we arrived this AM

Bob

mjs Oct 27th, 2015 10:19 PM

Train to Shinjuku plus cab would be quicker but I would just take the bus for simplicity.

ayalranne Oct 27th, 2015 10:59 PM

Definitely go with the limousine bus...

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/pl...hes/index/2/22

hawaiiantraveler Oct 28th, 2015 09:37 AM

Bill,
You need to take the limo bus into Tokyo. There is one that goes to your hotel so would be door to door. Also when buying your limo bus tickets mention that you want the limo bus Tokyo metro pass special so you can get a Tokyo metro pass for a day along with your bus tickets for a deal of a price. See here for all details.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/discou...nedaypass.html

I will answer your other thread with ideas for things to do and places to eat and sight see in Tokyo when I have a little more time as I am at work right now. The Hilton sits atop a subways station so using the Tokyo Metro system is the way to go for you two. This site will answer your questions on travel in the Tokyo metro systems along with maps.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/index.html

Aloha!

nicetrywilliams Nov 14th, 2015 02:47 PM

jumping in! To double check, I'm unable to reserve tickets online? But I should be able to get 2 tickets easily once getting off the plane? great info here.

CaliforniaLady Nov 14th, 2015 04:36 PM

You don't need a reservation--it's just a bus! After you get your luggage, go down to the Friendly Limousine area. A smiley lady will ask you where you are headed, and she will take yen or a credit card in exchange for a ticket. Then she will tell you which number you wait by outside. After a few minutes, the bus comes along, and a couple of smiley men appear. They then look at your ticket, take your suitcase, and hand you yet another ticket that is your luggage receipt. It's all very efficient, and so very Japanese.

nicetrywilliams Nov 14th, 2015 06:21 PM

Thanks @CaliforniaLady. I'm obviously in reservation mode :) Plus my flight gets in at 9pm, so a bit nervous about getting transport over to Tokyo. Super helpful.

MrsBillT Dec 28th, 2015 05:13 AM

For the airport bus links above is there a luggage limitation ? Also I read somewhere that the bus company also offers a three day metro pass, can I get that with the bus company listed above? It seems they offer a one day pass so am I referring to a different bus company that serves the airport? Again our hotel is the Hilton.

hawaiiantraveler Dec 28th, 2015 08:07 AM

no luggage limit I know of.

You buy your ticket for the next bus at the ticket desk by a clerk who speaks English and then are directed wait in a cue right outside the exit doors. The next three buses are displayed on a lighted board outside above the bus stop in Japanese and English. Everything runs like clockwork. Just before your bus arrives the baggage handlers take your bags and tag them and give you the receipts. When your bus arrives you enter the bus while the baggage boys load your bags under the bus. When you arrive at the Hilton the bell boys and driver will unload your luggage while you make your way to check in. Your bags will follow you. All very easy.

Aloha!

hawaiiantraveler Dec 28th, 2015 08:12 AM

Oh your other questions:

Yes you buy the limosine bus tickets and metro pass at the same bus ticket desk just mention it to them. They know about it as most everyone gets one.

The only deal I see now is the one day Tokyo metro pass with a bus ticket not a three day. There used to be a three day ticket deal but that was two years ago iirc. If you find a three day deal let us know :)

Aloha!

mrwunrfl Dec 28th, 2015 08:56 AM

>>The Hilton sits atop a subways station

The Tochomae subway station is under the Hyatt Regency which is just across the street from the Hilton.

hawaiiantraveler Dec 28th, 2015 04:39 PM

The Hilton is located between Tochomae station on the Oedo Line and Nishi-shinjuku station on the Marunouchi Line. You'll see an entrance to an underground passageway on the left side of the hotel front door. That's why I say it sits on a station. You can get to both stations through this passageway. The Hyatt is located closer to the Oedo line but actually easier to get to the nishi Shinjuku station from Hyatt, which is closer to the Hilton, cuz you have to go out back door of Hyatt then up and over then down a pedestrian walkway to cross the street then down the stairs to get to the Oedo line station. I've done both many times and the nishi Shinjuku station is best for me from the Hilton. Last time I did this was two weeks ago btw

Aloha!

MrsBillT Dec 29th, 2015 02:56 AM

Thanks guys great advice and I will have more questions as I start to map out our plans for each day. Here's what we are thinking right now. given the complexity of the subways systems and the likelihood of getting lost we will need to be very targeted on what we do each day. Mornings will be a leisurely breakfast at the hotel and then Strike out for one venue . I am thinking Imperial Palace or shrine. Then head back to the hotel. Afternoon set off to one of the shopping venues and grab lunch. Evenings relax in the club lounge. We will be staying on points. When we check into the hotel I will ask about upgrades and try to get club lounge benefits.
I am a gold member, that might get us an upgrade and for sure breakfast but maybe not full club lounge access and if that's the case I will pay for the full lounge access.
You guys are the experts so if you want to suggest some plans for each day ( we will have 6 days on the ground) that would be great keeping in mind our targeted
approach and keeping it simple. We do not want to be running around all day. Also we will want to avoid the huge subway stations with their myriad of exits. This way we will minimize our getting lost, which from all that I have read so far is very likely .