Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Narita - 3 hr layover.. shops, restaurants?

Sep 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Hi

Hello,
We are traveling to SE Asia via Tokyo/Narita and have a 3 hours layover there (Terminal #1, I believe). Are there lots of shops and restaurants at the airport, and are they outside of custom check? Also with I assumed increased security, I hear it might take hours to go through custom and re-enter back to the terminal, is that true? Are there any interesting shops or restaurants inside the terminal so I don't have to go through the securtiy check? Thanks.

Sep 30th, 2002, 10:23 AM
orgy7

try this
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/airport_e/

Sep 30th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Charlie

We also had a 3 hour layover enroute from Beijing last March and there were a number of duty free shops to browse without leaving the terminal.There was electronics, jewelry, shirts hats,etc.,etc. We didn't leave the terminal so had no need to reclear customs so I don't know how long it takes.If you are a smoker there is also an enclosed room to smoke in without leaving the terminal.

Sep 30th, 2002, 06:44 PM
John G

The best restaurant at Narita is the noodle shop near Gate 23 in Terminal 1. It is next to a gift shop and the security checkpoint that you must clear when you land in Tokyo. There are also many shops, such as Hermes, Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton, etc. And yes there is a smoking lounge.

Sep 30th, 2002, 11:13 PM
a

There is nothing very interesting in the vicinity of the airport and not so much exciting stuff in the airport that it would be worth the hassle of going through immigration (twice) and customs.

No matter what you do you will have to go through security as this is mandatory even for through passengers.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:11 AM
Anna

I traveled through Narita in September, we had 2 hours to kill before our flight. I found a Yahoo internet cafe there that had free internet access. It is near the day hotel (sorry I don't remember which terminal). The day hotel also offers rooms and showers.

Oct 1st, 2002, 07:40 PM
omik

I fly thru Narita 2-3 times a year. Upstairs near NWAIR lounge is little coffee bar and comfortable lounges. I sometimes have to kill 8 hours and even can stretch out up there. Don't plan on leaving airport, you are in a secure transit area, and will go thru internal security check, but very quick. The layover is part of the game, enjoy it. O