Notices

Napal to Lhasa - Permit

May 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Napal to Lhasa - Permit

I am traveling to Katmandu, Nepal and then to Lhasa, Tibet. I know I need to obtain a "permit" to go into Tibet. I plan to fly from Katmandu to Lhasa. How long does it take to acquire the "permit" and does the airline that I book the flight on, also supply the permit? I already have the China Visa. The "permit" is only to enter Tibet.
May 5th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Suggest you ask the airline you are travelling with. Or are you saying that you are going to Katmandu and plan to book an air ticket from there, and want to have a visa nice and ready?

May 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM

From the Lonely Planet Destination Guide:

"If you are entering Tibet from China, your Chinese visa will be valid, though only travellers with tourists visas (not business, resident or student visas) are permitted. You must also obtain a Tibetan Tourist permit (TTB) before you can enter Tibet.

Entering Tibet from Nepal currently requires you to go on a week-long group overland tour (around Y400). You will have to get a group visa (a 'group' can be only one person but you'll be lucky to get more than two weeks validity, at which point you'll have to fly to another city in China to get the 'group' visa changed to a tourist visa), arranged by an agent.

Be aware that permit and visa regulations for Tibet change every year, sometimes every month, and are notoriously hard to keep track of. For the latest information and travellers' reports check out the Postcards and Thorn Tree sections of the Lonely Planet Web site (www.lonelyplanet.com)."

Do what it ways and check thorntree. You might also check with the Chinese Embassy in Nepal - www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cenp/eng/default.htm

Search this Thread