Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Nancy Chandler Maps - worthwhile? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/nancy-chandler-maps-worthwhile-419018/)

dgunbug Aug 25th, 2008 05:59 AM

Nancy Chandler Maps - worthwhile?

Has anyone used the Nancy Chandler Maps of Bangkok and Chaing Mai and are they worthwhile or not?

rhkkmk Aug 25th, 2008 06:11 AM

they are very worthwhile...they give you a general layout of the city and record many places which you may want to visit.....they are not to scale, but honestly that does not matter....most of us would never visit bkk without one...and many of us buy the updates as they are available....available at most tourist places in bkk----bookshops, hotels, etc...also on amazon i think....

Kathie Aug 25th, 2008 06:14 AM

The Nancy Chandler Maps are one of the most frequently recommended resources here on the Asia board. So much more than a map, these offer recommendations on where to buy almost anything, restaurants recommendations, and a map that give you a real idea of where things are in relation to one another. (Note: the maps are not to scale.) The new edition of the Nancy Chandler Map will be my first purchase when I get to Bangkok in October.

Craig Aug 25th, 2008 06:42 AM

I am also a big fan of the Nancy Chandler maps. While they are not to scale, the maps make things very easy to find and clearly show skytrain, subway and ferry stops. I've been using the Nancy Chandler maps since my first visit to Bangkok in 2000.

Gpanda Aug 25th, 2008 06:58 AM

The NC maps are invaluable. Many times we've been in BKK or CM and used the map to pick a place to eat. Never disappointed. If you're going to the weekend market in BKK, it is essential.

marya_ Aug 25th, 2008 07:10 AM

I agree with everything written about the BKK map above. (I have not used the CM map.)

The newest BKK edition (24th) came out last February. You are encouraged to keep abreast of updates by checking on-line.

I paid 260 THB for my copy purchased earlier this month at the store at the National Museum in Bangkok.

The map is helpful in all ways but I especially cannot imagine having a good experience on your own at the Chatuchak (JJ) Weekend Market without a copy of the map.

By the way, I assumed that everyone in Bangkok knew this map but was wrong about that. When we arrived in Bangkok, I asked the club concierge at my hotel where I might pick up a Nancy Chandler map. I wrote the name on a piece of paper and got a blank response from both people on the concierge desk. When I printed out a page from the website, they called a major bookstore (at Paragon, I think) and were told that it was out of stock and to try back in a day or so. We were thinking of going over to the Nancy Chandler office but then, when we were at the National Museum, my husband spied a copy of the map available for purchase in the museum shop.

I enjoy the editorial comments and marginalia.

The only disappointment is that the map is not laminated. You also need to remind yourself constantly -- or jot a note on the map -- that it is not drawn to scale.

jcasale Aug 25th, 2008 10:22 AM

I ordered our maps before we left from the website (they were out of stock at Amazon) and was glad I had done so. Got both BKK and CM and used both quite a bit. Found several great restaurants that were not mentioned in any of the guide books we had read.

jaspertl Aug 25th, 2008 10:43 AM

I ordered mine from the Nancy Chandler website....amazon was out of stock when I ordered also. (about 3 weeks ago)

nancychandler.net

It was promptly shipped (took about 1 1/2 weeks, I live in CA) and came with a little booklet listing the following: general shopping, shopping for "things Thai" dining, entertainment, transportation, accomodations, siteseeing, restaurants etc.

You can see where all the sites are in relation to one another. It's 2 sided with "Central Bangkok" on one side and on the other "Greater Bangkok" (for helping expatriates living outside of central Bangkok get to know their neighborhoods", Chatuchak (weekend market area) Sukhumvit road, Chinatown, Central Shopping area and Banglampoo.

It measures 20 x 30 fully opened and is made of a sturdy glossy paper with colorful printing. It would be great to have it laminated.
It folds up into a 7 1/2" x 5" square.

It cost $12.95 which included shipping.

rhkkmk Aug 25th, 2008 12:11 PM

also take a look at the nancy chandler web site for updates and general good bkk info

dgunbug Aug 30th, 2008 07:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've ordered my Bangkok Map. Now I'm wondering if I should have ordered Chaing Mai at the same time.

Kathie Aug 30th, 2008 08:33 PM

Yes, that would have been a good idea. You can wait and get it in Bangkok if that is where you are stopping first.

sssteve Aug 30th, 2008 09:29 PM

They can be bought in any decent sized book store in Bangkok.