Nancy Chandler map!! YES!!

Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Nancy Chandler map!! YES!!

I mentioned on another thread that I finally picked up my first Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok (Feb 2008 version), just last night. I've had some time to study it while I'm doing some laundry here on Sukhumvit soi 8 at my apartment.

I was pleased to see some of my favorite places on the map! Some of them you have to "know" where to look.

I have recommended Patumwan House a number of times here, for those people who want a real bargain, but clean, safe, and who don't require a pool. If you look on the Central Shopping Area map, the far far left side, upper corner, where you see the Asia Hotel listed. Look just below that, where you will see a number of Gs in boxes. Patumwan House is the one that sits right under the River Taxi Stop, and right next to the description of the short cut to JT house. You can see that it is very well located for shopping!! The walk down that soi (Kasem San) at first seemed intimidating but now I know for sure that it is perfectly safe!

Via Vai is listed on the Sukhumvit Road map, if you look along soi 8 (all even numbered sois are on the right side of the main Suk Rd). Our hotel (Adelphi Suites) is below the Nana BTS station and directly across from Via Vai, and is the same building as Rojo S American restaurant, which IS listed on the map. We've not dined at Rojo this trip, but DH has eaten there before and says it is good. Follow soi 8 just a bit further and you will see Kinnaree listed. Great Thai food!

Maeng's place has its own * but not a given name. Right across from Sukhumvit soi 8 is soi 11 (all odd numbered sois are on the left side of the main Suk Rd if you read left to right). Follow soi 11, just past Zanzibar, and then you will note Cheap Charlie's and the Villa Market. Behind Cheap Charlie's purple star there are three more red stars. Maeng's is the one that is on the top (adjacent to the word "Cheap" and just under the G for Suk 11 guest house). To get there, you have to walk past Zanzibar and its parking lot. Then you will see a smaller alley that leads back to Cheap Charlies. Walk along that alley (which is like U upside down, with each end of the U being connected to soi 11) all the way to the opposite end, where Suk 11 guest house is located, and the Pickled Liver (Maeng's place) is on the left side. There is outside dining in the late afternoons/evenings and you can always go inside and watch soccer (football) on the big screen TVs.

A place that isn't on the map, but is easy to locate if you have a copy, is the Long Table. Also on the Sukhumvit Road map, if you follow Suk to Asok BTS station, where Asoke Rd begins. Look to the right at that intersection, and follow Ratchadapisek Rd to where you see soi 16. This used to be connected to Sukhumvit Rd until they widened Ratcha Rd. Anyway, just down soi 16 is the Citidines hotel and Foodland grocery store. The building that houses Long Table is right about in that spot. The sign for the Long Table is easily visible from the street, as it is way up on the 25th floor of the building. You can see the sign while standing at the corner of Suk and Ratchadapisek Rd.

And no, I'm not trying to promote any of these places... I'm just having a great time examining my new map!!

Carol

Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM

god---the next thing you know you will visit the grand palace for a 2nd time.....i bet you might even think of going to the floating market by you 92nd trip to bkk....haha
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Bob, I HAVE been to the GP twice...

Be nice!

Carol
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:14 AM

Carol - thanks for the reminder that I need to pick up the new edition for our April trip...

Search this Thread