Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Nana hotel in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/nana-hotel-in-bangkok-401655/)

Dolcevita Feb 20th, 2004 03:49 PM

Nana hotel in Bangkok

Any info on this hotel and/or the area would be appreciated. Thanks!

orgy7 Feb 20th, 2004 05:34 PM

Nana hotel is on sukhumvit soi 4

it is basiclly part of bgnkoks red light district. if thats your sceen then your in ground zero. One of my favorite dance clubs is in there. I dont know much about hotel itself. but I can say that at 2 am it's parking lot turns into a circus full of go-go dancers. freelancers, katoeys, and men with good and bad intentions.

rhkkmk Feb 20th, 2004 06:57 PM

our jewerler is in this hotel....the hotel is directly behind the jw marriott hotel and about a block off of sukumvit....i have only been inside in the day time.....by the way the jewerler is thai stone jewerly and is right off the lobby...they are fantastic...i have been using them for 10 years and our best man has used them since the vietnam war....

the hotel is seddy....the lobby during the day is filled with expat men, each with a thai girl on his lap....they are vets who return to bkk to relive their youth, which ended about 50 years ago...i am 60 and they are all my age or older...they are harmless and it is a real sociological lesson to go there and see what is going on....oh if only their ex wives or deceased wives could see them now....60 year old man in tight jeans....not a pretty picture...

i would call this at least one step up from the red light district, but this is not a church picnic that is going on either....

during the day and into the evening it is perfectly safe....we have stayed a number of times at the jw and never felt any pressure from this area....its bangkok after all....

i do not know what to make from you sign on name so you will have to choose....there is a nice pool area in the rear which you can look down on from the marriott which looks quite acceptable...

the lobby is old and dark, but full of people...

largely it depends on what you intend to do in bkk and how much comfort you want.... for my money i think you could find a newer place which is much nicer....

ask any additional questions and i will answer if i can

rhkkmk Feb 20th, 2004 06:59 PM

i forgot to add that there is a very good tailor in the next little mall after the nana...his name is Vashi...he does excellent work and they have good english...he has been there for years...

orgy7 Feb 20th, 2004 07:24 PM

Actually the nana hotel catters more too the eurpean sex tourist. and the ages of the men are all over the map now a days..

American expats tend too hang out in washington square on suk 22.

rhkkmk Feb 20th, 2004 07:36 PM

as recently as about a year ago the nana was loaded with americans, germans, brits and aussies...

Dolcevita Feb 20th, 2004 07:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Doesn't sound like my scene. I'm pretty liberal, though don't want to be smack in the middle of, or even part of the red light area, as I'm a single woman travelling alone.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel (under $50) near Bumrungrad in Sukhumvit? Thank you!

rhkkmk Feb 20th, 2004 08:18 PM

have you asked at the hospital...they have their own hotel i think??

jamesA will probably give you an answer or put a post out there for him and he gives the best suggestions and most reliable

orgy7 Feb 21st, 2004 07:22 AM

DOLI ....how long will you be in BKK.. if it's for a week or more then renteing an apartment is your best bet,
you can save 100's of dollers and you stay in a nice place.

honestly you wont get too much imput in this foram for any property that costs less then $100 a night.

My suggestions are the worst though.. and I live in bangkok..

orgy7 Feb 21st, 2004 09:30 AM

here is a verry good site too get opionions on hotels all over asia..and they tend too offer pretty good deals too.
www.asiahotels.com

they have the zenith. and all the hotels. you mentioned with customer feed back.

mongobot Feb 22nd, 2004 10:16 PM

While still in the "red light" district of Sukhumvit, I would recommend the Majestic Suites <http://www.majesticsuites.com/main.html>. The prices are reasonable at about 1500 THB and the rooms are decent if a bit small. It is right on Sukhumvit Rd and fairly close to the Bumrungrad Hospital. The price includes breakfast but there is no pool if that matters. Also, the skytrain is steps away.

Hope this helps...

harzer Feb 22nd, 2004 11:00 PM

To call this area a red light district is a bit far-fetched. There is a complex called the Nana Entertainment Plaza near the Nana Hotel which is a self-contained RLD - but you don't need to see any of that. There is no soliciting on the street or anything.

A nice old hotel from the 1950's is the Atlanta on Soi 2. No prostitutes allowed in there. It has a nice pool, and a great restaurant - but of course it is showing its age. Rates are around 500 - 600 baht for a room with A/C.

orgy7 Feb 23rd, 2004 06:14 AM

LOL

Harzer those girls that mill about all over lower sukhunvit. calling men handsom and grabbing there crotches are not your reguler collage girls. let alone real women. there is more too the naughty lower sukhunvit sceen the you may think or want too know.. for instance on soi 3 establishments cater too middle eastern/ african men. and Soi zero (under bridge) has a couple of hostess bars. Ohh and as far as nana hotel it is a major stop for freelancers..

but what do I know..

harzer Feb 24th, 2004 04:11 AM

I have the impression that Miss Dolcevita is not going to be hanging around the streets at 3am, which is when the scene you describe comes to life.

But what do I know..